PAV BHAJI / MUMBAI PAV BHAJI RECIPE
Today i have for you all one of the hot selling and most favorite street food ... Mumbai special " Pav Bhaji ". Though Pav Bhaji originated in streets of Mumbai , over the time the dish found its way into restaurants and spread over other parts of country. Pav bhaji is now available in almost all Indian restaurant menu across the globe. With medley of so many vegetables , pav bhaji is quiet healthy . Making it at home will make pav bhaji more healthy as less oil and butter goes into it when compared to restaurants.Piping hot bhaji sprinkled with onion and a squeeze of fresh lemon and buttery pav dipped into it ..Aah absolute bliss !! Isn't it ??
Pav bhaji actually means Pav - Bun ; Bhaji - spicy mashed mixed vegetables . A lot of different kind of vegetables goes into making of bhaji and the base is usually potato. Vegetables that are typically used for the bhaji are potatoes, carrots, beans ,beetroot,peas, cauliflower,capsicum etc .One can make bhaji combining any of these veggies but addition of capsicum (green bell pepper) is a must for that perfect taste . Whenever there is a potluck or i have many guests coming over to my place , i usually make Pav bhaji as it’s one of the most simplest and quickest dishes to make in larger quantities and usually everyone loves pav bhaji . So are you ready to recreate Mumbai Style Pav Bhaji at your home? Here you go ...
MUMBAI PAV BHAJI RECIPE
For Bhaji :
- Roughly dice beans,carrot,cauliflower, peas and potatoes.Take them in a cooker .Add some water,haldi and cook them till it is done . The vegetables have be to cooked completely.Don't worry even if it is overcooked.
- Once cooked , peel the potatoes and nicely mash it using hand or masher . Mash other mixed veggies too using a masher or pulse it just 2-3 times in a mixer.
- Take a big thick kadai / pan and melt some butter + oil .Season with cumin seeds and bay leaf. When they splutter ,add finely chopped onion,green chillies ,ginger -garlic paste . Saute well .
- Add finely chopped tomato / tomato puree . Add some salt and saute well till tomatoes turns mushy and starts leaving oil. This is the only time consuming step while making bhaji but sauteing onion tomatoes nicely is very important for a yummy bhaji .
- Add capsicum and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add all the masalas - chilli powder,coriander powder,cumin powder, kasoori methi , aamchoor ,pav bhaji masala,turmeric,salt and sugar . Mix and fry for 1-2 mins .
- Next add the mashed vegetables . Mix everything .
- Using a masher mash everything again . Add some water , mix and simmer for 10 -15 mins . Allow it to boil well to get desired consistency. Bhaji tastes best when it is boiled for a long time .That way all the spices used blends properly in bhaji.
- Switch off .Garnish with coriander leaves . Bhaji is ready .
To prepare bhaji :
To prepare pav :
- Take pav buns . Slit them
- On a flat pan / tawa , heat some butter.Keep the pav on the melted butter and toast both sides till they are golden . Pav is ready.
To Serve :
- Serve the hot delicious Mumbai Pav Bhaji along with buttered Pav, finely chopped onions, coriander and lemon wedges. . Relish hot !!!
- I have used ready made pav bhaji masala . I usually buy MDH / Everest / Mothers recipe masala .
- Spice powder quantity can be adjusted based on your taste .
- You can alter the quantity of the veggies based on your preference and availability. Potato,tomato,peas and capsicum are must , rest all vegetables are used to give thickness and body to the bhaji .
- If using dry peas , soak them overnight and use.
- you can increase / decrease the butter quantity based on your preference . But pavbhaji made with butter tastes awesome.
- Fry onion tomato mix nicely till tomatoes become mushy . this is the most important step and also boil the bhaji well for a great bhaji .
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!