PEANUT CHUTNEY POWDER / SHENGA CHUTNEY PUDI
Seriously mornings are getting busier day by day.Cooking,packing lunch boxes,making every one get ready on time ,serve on time ,rush to bus stop on time.. Uff.. looks like time runs super fast in the mornings..with that,its making us all run on toes. In these scenarios,Chutney powders always come to my rescue,when i don't have any time left to cook a side dish.You can find at least one type of chutney powder stocked up in my pantry always.Prepare at one shot and store for few months.Today i share with you all one of the simplest and yummilicious chutney powders of all " Peanut Chutney Powder / Kadlekayi or Shenga Chutney Pudi " .
Peanut chutney powder also known as shenga chutney pudi or shengdana dry chutney is actually a North Karnataka and Maharashtrian Cuisine.That's the advantage of having relatives from different regions.I got to learn this recipe from my granny (who's from North Karnataka) through my Mom. In fact my last two typical north Karnataka recipes , Jolada rotti and ennegayi palya are also from my granny's cook book . She was a very good cook.
This version of chutney pudi is actually a quick fix when compared to my normal lentil chutney pudi ,but coming to taste, this is very addictive.With just a few ingredients you can easily prepare this versatile mix and use it with anything everything.Serve as an accompaniment with your dosa,idlis,jowar rotis,chapathi or sprinkle a spoon of it to pep up your stir fries,salads or quickly use it to thicken your curries and gravies.I infact use it in vadapavs and sometimes in sabudana kitchdi too. Wow !! isn't this spice powder really handy ?? Don't you think its worth to store them in your pantry too? Here goes my recipe of peanut chutney powder aka magic powder ..a teaspoon of which that can work wonders !!
PEANUT CHUTNEY POWDER
- Dry roast peanuts in a kadai or microwave , till the skin peels off or brown spots appear on them.
- Dry roast fried gram a little, till they get crispy.
- Add a teaspoon of oil to the frying pan. Keep the flame on low and roast red chillies and tamarind.Mid way,add curry leaves, and continue to roast till red chillies,tamarind and curry leaves have turned crisp.
- Transfer all the roasted ingredients into the frying pan including raw garlic.Next ,fry the mixture for another 1-2 mins and take off from the heat.Garlic will not get crisp,it will be little raw only.Allow the mixture to cool completely before grinding.
- Transfer the above mixer jar,add salt and pulse it to a medium coarse powder, don't make it too smooth. That's it Peanut chutney pudi is ready.Store it in air tight container. If handled properly can store for months together.
- To serve mix a spoonful of peanut chutney powder with a dash of ghee / butter /oil/curd and serve as an accompaniment for Idly /Dosa/Paniyaram/Jowar Roti etc ...even hot rice.
- Grind the peanut mix only after it is cooled well. Else oil will come out of it while grinding.
- Grind the powder to a medium coarse consistency .Making too smooth will convert into lump coz of oiliness in it.
- If you wish you can add 2 tbsp roasted dry coconut / kopra too. Roast and add.
- In case you don't like garlicky taste, you can omit it. Instead add another handful of curry leaves.
- To make it a more quicker version than the above : just buy ready roasted peanuts.Also instead of roasting red chillies, can use red chilli powder .
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!