PEAS MASALA / PEAS BUTTER MASALA / MATAR MASALA - RESTAURANT STYLE!!
Remember my last weekends scenario ? I was in no mood to cook an elaborate meal ,didn't have any veggies in stock nor in a mood to dine out.But then i wanted to make something fancy,delicious yet simple and quick. Cooked jeera rice n rolled few rotis. And what about the side dish ? I wanted something that would go well with both. Aah.. Flashed -- " Peas Masala / Matar Masala " !!!! A quickie and yummy curry that can be put together in just 15 mins!!! A scrumptious lunch was all set in no time .... hmm... things can't better than this ??
I buy green peas in winter in a bulk and freeze it to use throughout the year.They are so handy to cook when you run out of time or vegetables or when guests are just a knock away from the door and you don't have anytime to chop veggies.Those times ,this green peas masala can be done in jiffy with just a few ingredients.The end result would taste just like you would get in restaurants.A perfect kid friendly as well crowd pleaser .Today's post is my dedication to all busy working women,busy moms and busy bachelors who are in the lookout of simple,quick and yummy side dishes....
To saute and grind:
To grind (for the cashewpaste) :
- Pressure cook peas for 2 whistles and set aside. You can microwave too.
- Soak cashew in warm water for 5-10 mins. Later grind cashews with curd to a smooth creamy paste, set aside.
- Add a tsp of oil and add the ingredients under 'to saute and grind' and saute till tomatoes turns little mushy.
- Cool down and grind it a fine paste.
- Heat butter.Add cumin seeds and bay leaf. Let cumin seeds splutter.Add onion and saute till slightly browned.
- Next add the tomato paste and saute well for about 4-5 mins or till raw smell goes and color changes.
- Then add haldi,garam masala /channa masala,red chilli powder,sugar and salt..Add water as required to bring it to running consistency. Let it boil for 1-2 mins.
- Add the cashew paste and give a quick stir.
- Add cooked peas and cook on low flame for 5mins.Let the peas take in all the flavours .
- Finally add kasoori methi and coriander leaves and switch it off.
- Serve hot Peas Masala with Jeera rice / phulka / naan /poori/ any other roti.
If you don't have fresh or frozen peas, you can soak dried peas overnight and later use.
If you want you can add cooked diced potato or roasted paneer cubes too.
For extra flavor if you want you can use little dhania and jeera powder.
I normally use MDH / Everest brand garam masala n chole masala.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!