Scratching your head what to make for breakfast ??Uff….its a big task.Well let me help and add 1 more item to your everyday breakfast recipe list -” Pesarattu “,a signature dish of Andra cuisine.Famous in northern parts of India as “Moong Cheela “. Call it a dosa / Cheela / Crepes / Pancakes…whats in a name.Just sit back and enjoy the wholesome ,proteinaceous ,delicious breakfast…
Pesarattu is basically thin,crispy dosas made from green gram.Its a great way to add proteins to our diet and very apt for those who want to reduce rice consumption in their diet.Another good news is that Pesarattu falls under instant dosa category as there’s no fermentation required.As long as you remember to soak dal at night ,this is a no sweat breakfast recipe.
I’ve heard typically pesarattu is served with upma and onion topping.For me somehow its not appealing, i can’t imagine how a upma wrapped in pesarattu might taste ? I love it just with onion topping.
Do try , i’m sure you will love this healthy and tasty pesarattu / Cheela,a good change from the normal dosa…
Wash and soak rice and green gram overnight in water .
Next morning, drain the water and grind it in a mixer / blender with jeera,green chilli,ginger and coriander leaves. Grind to medium smooth paste adding little water.
Transfer to a bowl and add water to get a consistency similar to dosa batter.Add salt and mix well.
Meanwhile, finely chop onion,green chilli and coriander leaves. Add a pinch of salt to it and mix well. Our topping for the dosa is ready.
Now its time to prepare to dosa.Heat a griddle and pour a laddle of batter. Spread it in circular motion to get thin dosa.
Sprinkle a tbsp of topping ,pat it gently with spatula so that they stick to the doPEsa.Drizzle oil at the sides and center and cook covered for 1-2 mins on medium low flame.Remove cover and check if dosa is well cooked and is crisp.Fold and serve crispy pesarattu accompanied with coconut chutney / coriander chutney /Chutney powder / Ginger chutney (allam pachadi..- will share soon ) / Sweet chutney .
Start your day with this wholesome filling dosas and enjoyyy..
- Don't grind the batter too smooth. Let be little coarse , so that the texture of the dosa will be good.
- Rice is used to make the dosa little crispy. In case u forgot soaking rice, you can add little rice flour / cornflour too.In case if you want to omit rice completely, you can do so. But in that case,dosa will come out little soft.try and see which way you like..
- To make it super healthy, you can use sprouted green gram too. I do that sometimes.If you don't like thin crepes like dosa, you can do that like thick pancakes too.
- In the above recipe , to retain the authentic topping ive used onion. You can get creative and try some other toppings like sweet corn/carrot/paneer ( as we use in cheela) / mixed veg / spring onion / mushroom.. any thing that u would luv experimenting with..
- You can keep the batter refrigerated for upto 2-3 days.
- Fold and serve crispy pesarattu accompanied with coconut chutney / coriander chutney /Chutney powder / Ginger chutney (allam pachadi..- will share soon ) / Sweet chutney .