PUNDI GATTI /PIDI (UPMA/KARA) KOZHUKATTAI / UNDRALLU
Breakfast is the most important part of a day's meal. Today i have one traditional South Indian breakfast for you all that's not only filling,tasty but healthy too.These steamed rice dumplings are known as " Pundi gatti / Pundi / Undi / Akki Tari Kadubu / Khara Kadubu " in Kannada and in Tamil its " Pidi Kozhukattai / upma Kozhukattai / khara Kozhukattai " and in Telugu its known as " Undrallu / kudumullu ". Uff.. that's a lot of names in just 3 languages.. that's the indication how popular this dish is ...
Many people have a misconception that making these rice dumplings are time consuming, tough etc.But i assure you they are not.If you have the rice rava ready, they are one of the easiest breakfast options you can think of on those lazy weekends.I always stock rice rava as they come very handy in the preparation of these dumplings, cucumber idli ,rice rava upma etc.As its one of our family favorites..i prepare it often.So are you all ready to try out these healthy dumplings in your kitchen ? And yes as always don't forget to share you feedback.. Here we go...
- Heat a kadai with oil, temper with mustard seeds, channa dal,urad dal and jeera.Fry till the dals turn golden.
- Once the mustard seeds crackle add the curry leaves and broken red chillies.Fry for a minute.
- Now add the measured water ( 1:2 ) and salt.Allow the water to boil.
- Once water starts boiling reduce the flame to low. Add coconut gratings and slowly add the rice rava stirring continuously .
- Mix well such that no lumps are formed.
- Keep stirring for 3-4 minutes until all the water is evaporated and the whole thing comes together.Allow to cool a bit .
- Prepare a steamer and keep on flame.
- When the mixture is still warm - Grease your hands slightly with oil / wet your hands.Then take a fistful of the mixture and roll them into a cylindrical dumpling Repeat the same procedure with the remaining mixture.
- Keep the dumplings in the steamer and Steam cook them for 10-12 mins.
- Enjoy the hot rice dumplings with any spicy chutney like brinjal chutney /ridge gourd peel chutney / sesame chutney / tomato chutney ,coconut chutney,mango pickle etc.
- If you dont have ready rice rava you can do it in home this way. Soak rice in water for 10-15 mins . Drain water completely spread on cloth for sometime and pulse in mixer to a coarse powder. OR you can also coarse powder dry rice in mixer without soaking them.
- Instead of rice rava you can also use upma rava or idli rava . If using upma rava, slightly roast them and use.
- Rice : water proportion that i use is 1 : 2.
- Don't reduce much the coconut quantity. Else the dumplings will become hard. Also addition of coconut and coconut oil will give a nice flavor to these dumplings.
- However if you really what to reduce coconut quantity ...as an option you can use 2-3 tbsps thick poha coarsely powdered and 2 tbsp grated coconut .. in combination.
- It would look like little sticky if you eat immediately after taking out from steamer. So its better take it out from steamer ,allow for 2-3 mins and later serve.
- You can also add some carrots / peas / corn/ hyacinth seeds ( avare kayi ) / dill leaves etc for etc flavor.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!