PURI OR POORI RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE PUFFY ( FLUFFY ) POORI
Today i have for you all a dish that is famous through out India , a dish that is probably everybody's favorite irrespective of age , a dish that is best relished straight from the stove .. yes friends i am speaking of our Indian " Poori Recipe " . I know most of us know how to make poori .. but for people who are new bees to kitchen .. making a fluffy poori is indeed a challenge , a dream come true. For the benefit of those , thought of sharing here method of making Puffy Poori .
How many of you remeber Dhara oil ad that used to come in national channel once upon a time ? Haha .. i say once upon a time coz i used to drool seeing this ad when i was a kid . Fully puffed up jumbo poori , a boy bursting it , steaming hot air coming out of the jumbo poori.. the very look of those puffed poori is so alluring ....i just love that ad even now . After marriage , when i started making pooris , my dream was to make " The Dhara ad poori " . But as luck would have it , of 10 only 4-5 would puff . Slowly over the time , by keen observation i learnt the art . Though nothing rocket science, a few simple tips to follow ... n voila !! a fully puufy poori is all yours ..So don't miss the NOTES section in the end where all the tips and tricks have been included . Do follow them and enjoy piping hot fluffy poori with kurma / saagu / baji . And don't forget to do some workout later .. hehe :)...Here you go ..
PURI OR POORI
- Take wheat flour, rava , ghee and salt in a bowl .
- Add water little by little to make a stiff dough .It should be stiffer than chapathi dough . Knead the dough very very nicely between your palms.
- Keep the dough covered for about 5 mins and make small small balls of equal size .
- Dust the balls and roll them to small flat discs / circle , nor too thick or thin . Kneading well and rolling perfect is very important .
- Heat oil in a kadai . When the oil is hot drop the poori into hot oil slowly. Reduce the flame to medium low. Splash the hot oil from the sides using the slotted spoon on top of the poori .This helps in puffing up poori nicely
- Turn over when puffed up and fry the poori till golden brown . Drain on a kitchen towel .
- Serve hot fluffy poori with aloo baji , saagu , kurma , bombay saagu,peas masala,chana masala or choice of your veggie.
- How to make perfect dough : Add water little by little incorporating flour and water slowly . the dough shouldnt be too hard yet it shouldnt be as soft as chapathi dough .When your dough is ready initially you might feel its hard .Dont worry as you knead it will soften a bit .Proper kneading of the dough is very important .
- Do not rest the dough for too long . If you have to make poori for breakfast , you have to make the dough in the morning only .
- Rolling : Rolling of poori is very crucial for it to puff up . If you roll too thin , it wont puff. It shouldnt be very thick too . Make poori of medium thickness with uniform thickness . Don't use lot of dry flour for rolling.
- Always fry poori in batches. i.e if you have to make 24 pooris... roll abt 6-8 poori, fry them and later proceed to make next batch of 6-8 pooris. If you roll all 24 poori together and later fry them one by one , pooris rolled initially won't puff . It would have dried a bit .
- To check the readiness of the oil, drop a small ball of dough (say around the size of the lemon seed). If the dough ball raises above the oil in a couple of seconds, the oil is hot enough to drop in the patties.
- Oil should be perfect hot else it won't puff . Too hot it will blacken , less temperature it will drink oil .
- Addition of sooji gives nice crispiness
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!