RAGI MUDDE / RAGI SANKATI / RAGI KALI / RAGI BALLS -EASY METHOD
Today i have for you all rural Karnataka's staple ,very nutritious and healthy Ragi Mudde. Wondering what Ragi mudde is ? They are basically soft balls made from Fingermillet . In Tamilnadu its called Ragi kali and Ragi Sankati in Andhra .Basically these Ragi Balls are very bland on its own and you are not supposed to chew and eat it but just swallow.Relish with some hot spicy sambar or curry .. break it into small pieces ,dunk in the curry and gulp...it tastes just Yum...Raagi mudde-Soppina saaru/ bassaru /masoppu (different types of green leaf curry) is the most famous combo...
In the earlier times , ragi mudde was widely consumed by farmers and workers as it makes you strong and keeps you full for quiet a long time.But now the trend has changed. People have realized the health benefits of ragi mudde and welcomed happily to their kitchens .When Deve Gowda became the country's Prime Minister he popularized Ragi Mudde even more.All thanks to him for popularizing a healthy dish from Karnataka. Can you believe Ragi mudde is now available in restaurants too !!!
Traditional way of making Ragi mudde is little different. Today i have for you all the easiest method of making soft raagi mudde ..beginners will love it.When i was new to kitchen, i was finding it tough to make perfect ragi mudde. Either it would have some lumps or hard or too soft.Also in the traditional method, i feel wastage of dough is more.So i always do ragi mudde in this easy method. Taste wise anyways there is no difference.Here we go...
- In a non stick pan take ragi flour and salt.
- Add water to it and mix well such that no lumps are formed.
- Keep the ragi batter on stove. Using a wooden spatula keep stirring the batter.Keep the flame on medium.
- You will notice that after sometime, batter will start thickening.But its still not cooked full .Keep stirring for another 3-5 mins.
- When its fully done, you will see that the ragi dough has got a shining texture and the whole mass has come together to form a single lump.If you wet your hand and make a ball it shouldnt stick to your hand.
- Divide the dough to equal parts.
- Wet your hands and pat on the ragi mass. Then roll them to smooth ball using your wet hand.
- Pour some ghee and serve hot Ragi balls with green leaves sambar , bassaru or choice of curry. Relish and stay STRONG !!! Healthy Eating .....
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!