RAW JACKFRUIT PULAO / JACKFRUIT BIRYANI / KATHAL KI BIRYANI RECIPE
Today i have an exotic , flavorful , delicious pulao made from a seasonal veggie - Raw jack fruit . Hearing about my today's dish my mom's first reaction was " Pulao ? !!! Out of jack fruit ..!!! ?? ".I know most of the South Indian's would react the same way hearing it . I too hadn't tasted Raw Jackfruit Pulav ever but when i did .. i just loved this royal dish to the core. It's very famous in Northern part of India as " Kathal Pulao / Kathal Ki Biryani " . Raw jackfruit cooked in an aromatic masala and garnished with freshly squeezed lemon juice and loads of fresh coriander leaves.... Ahh... Can you get the aroma?? I can still feel its tempting texture and flavor. !! :)
It so happens that whenever i get my hands on raw jackfruit , i normally end up making all the traditional authentic stuff that i had grown up eating . But this time , the blogger in me decided to try something new .After making Raw jackfruit sambar , i kept aside another half for my experimentation. Did some googling ... striked off all sambars, currys,stir fries from it ... was left with kabab or Pulao / Biriyani and Finally my hubby suggested i should make pulao out of it .But after a lot of recipe hunting, i did not find anything easy and healthy.. Most of the sites had quite lengthy cooking method , with long ingredient list and i was in no mood for hard work ( grind - marinate - cook - mix ) . When i did not find any apt recipe and it was almost lunch time, Finally i gave up ... mixed n matched few recipes and came up with my version of " easy One pot pressure cooker method of making Raw Jackfruit Pulav " . The whole process excluding jackfruit chopping did not take me more than half hour in all. And the end result was so so awesome.. had crossed all my expectations ... the jackfruit was so well cooked taking in all the flavors ..we all loved it so much. My husband loved it so much that he actually praised at least 5 times while enjoying it .Anyhow i was very happy to have got this easy yummy recipe and that is the reason why i am sharing with you.. Do try it once and i am sure you will not forget the flavor of this wonderful rice..
To Temper :
To Garnish :
- When we cut Jack fruit , a thick "milk" oozes from it. This is sticky in nature and stains. So without forgetting ,before cutting rub generous amount of coconut oil to your hand and grease the cutting knife too.
- Cut the raw jack fruit into half and later into medium size long pieces.Remove outer thorny green skin and the center stalk part.
- Cut the clean jackfruit into small pieces and put them into water immediately,else they will dis color. Leave it in water for 5 mins. You can observe that the water would be little brownish now. Discard that water.
- Wash and soak rice in water for 20 minutes .
- In a pressure cooker heat oil + ghee together. Once its hot, add cumin seeds,fennel seeds,bay leaf ,star anise,cloves,cinnamon ,mace and cardamom .
- Once the cumin and fennel seeds splutter, add onion ,green chillies and ginger garlic paste. Fry nicely till onion turns light brown in color.
- Next add chopped raw jackfruit and saute for 4-5 mins Add little salt while frying .
- Then add turmeric powder,red chilli powder,turmeric powder,garam masala powder and remaining salt . Fry for 1-2 mins.
- Add drained rice . Fry for 1-2 mins.
- Finally add hot water and mint leaves. Mix and taste test. Salt and spice level should be slightly on higher side at this stage. Once the water starts boiling,close the lid and keep the flame to medium . Cook for 2 whistles and switch off the flame.
- In a small kadai , take a tsp of ghee, roast cashew.
- Once the pressure releases , add to the pulav roasted cashews , lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves . Gently fluff it up using a fork .
- Serve hot Raw jackfruit pulav with raita.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!