RAW JACKFRUIT STIR FRY / KATHAL KI SABZI / HALASINAKAYI PALYA / IDICHAKKA THORAN
Jackfruit is a seasonal fruit available from March to May. Few days back i had visited my aunt's place who has many jackfruit trees in her backyard .She is also an expert in making "n" number of dishes from it; right from very tender raw jackfruit to the matured golden ones.During our stay i nicely feasted on many yummies ( ha ha.. no points for guessing it ) and also was happy to carry a raw tender jackfruit back to Bangalore. Half of the fruit went for jackfruit sambar , which i shared in the last post and the remaining half went to ...... " Tender Jackfruit Stir Fry " or " Gujje Palya " as we call it locally. We relished this authentic Udupi style stir fry made from the freshest veggie.
In the authentic style, no onion or garlic is used in this recipe and i've stuck to it. Its very simple to make and yummy in taste. Make it spicy and savor it as a side dish with rice / roti or mildly spice and enjoy it as a snack. Which ever way , you are surely going to love it .True , cleaning process is a bit messy and time consuming but then end result deserves it. A slight mustard flavor and aroma of coconut oil indeed takes this simple stir fry to a new level . Try for sure to know what i mean.. Here goes the recipe...
RAW JACKFRUIT STIR FRY
To Grind ( masala)
- When we cut Jack fruit , a thick "milk" oozes from it. This is sticky in nature and stains. So without forgetting ,before cutting rub generous amount of coconut oil to your hand and grease the cutting knife too.
- Cut the raw jack fruit into half and later into medium size long pieces.Remove outer thorny green skin and the center stalk part.
- Cut the clean jackfruit into small pieces and put them into water immediately,else they will dis color. Leave it in water for 5 mins. You can observe that the water would be little brownish now. Discard that water.
- Keep oil in a pan or kadai.When its hot,add mustard and urad dal.Once they splutter,add red chilli and curry leaves.Add haldi.
- Put chopped raw jack fruit into the kadai.Fry for 1-2 mins. Add little water ,cover and cook on medium flame.Fresh ones will cook quickly.
- Meanwhile,dry grind mustard ,red chilli and salt .Once it powders,add coconut and pulse once.Dont grind coconut into smooth .
- When the jack fruit is cooked 75%, add tamarind pulp,jaggery and ground masala.Mix well, cook on slow fire for couple of more minutes.
- When the raw jack fruit has cooked and water has evaporated fully,switch off .Serve it hot with rice or roti.
Isn't it simple except for the cleaning part...Wish in future,hopefully some gadget comes to our rescue. Ha ha ...these lines are coming due to overdose of " Doremon" . Hmm.. what to do after all these days,i get to watch only that ..
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!