RAW MANGO JAM / AAM KA MURABBA / CHUNDO RECIPE
Today i have for you all a classic Gujarati sweet and sour pickle that's popularly known as " Chundo / Chunda / Aam ka Murabba / Raw mango Jam " . Its sweet,sour and slightly spicy in taste. Aam ki launji / Raw mango chutney prepared in the northern regions is its close cousin . Next time i will prepare that and share with you all but for today it is Gujarati Chundo --- my all time favorite jam since childhood. It's addictive , lip smacking , easy to make and super versatile .
Growing up , my mom used to prepare this every year in the mango season and it would be over in no time. A spoonful of it would be licked clean in no time after lunch and satisfy my sweet craving. This sweet sour relish is highly irresistible . The best part of this jam is this homemade jam has no preservatives yet stays good for a long time .Do try this mouthwatering simple pickle this season and relish it with anything and everything . Tastes awesome with bread , thepla , chapathi etc . Here you go....
RAW MANGO JAM
- Wash ,pat dry,peel and grate raw mangoes.
- Slightly crush cinnamon - cloves .
- In a kadai / thick pan take the grated mango . Add sugar , salt and a pinch of turmeric to it and place it on flame .
- Mix everything together with a ladle.Cook in a medium flame till the sugar turns syrupy .The sugar will melt and the mix will start to bubble.
- Over medium heat, continue to cook the mix till it becomes thick.
- Add chilli powder and crushed cinnamon - cloves powder.Mix everything well
- Keep stirring till the mixture thickens like a jam/marmalade. The whole process takes around 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from flame. That's it Raw mango jam is ready .Allow it to cool.
- Store in a airtight clean sterilised glass jar. Serve with bread , roti , thepla , etc . Stays good for a year without refrigeration or in fridge .
- Choose less sour firm mangoes . I use totapuri / rajapuri variety mangoes .
- Don't overcook the jam . It will harden .
- For flavoring i have added cinnamon and cloves. You can use something else too or omit.Instead you can use cardamom or roasted cumin powder .
- If made well,stored well and used with clean hands , this homemade jam remains fresh for many months even at room temperature.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!