SABUDANA (SAGO) IDLI / SABAKKI IDLI / JAVVARISI IDLI
Scratching your head as..what to make for breakfast ?? Uff....i know..its a big task. Well let me help you and add 1 more item to your everyday breakfast list. I am sure these " Sabudana / Sago Idli " will receive thumbs up from all . They are healthy ,easy and just yummmmm....
One of the staple south Indian Breakfast is Idli. But many feel boring and time consuming to make idlis often at home coz of soaking and grinding process. Today's Sabudana Idli comes as a quick -fix solution to all the idli lovers. Yes ,these idlis do not require any grinding at all. This is the reason i keep making these idlies often. Just mix ,soak ,steam and say - " Wow!! They are so soft ..lovely texture ... Pearly white... delicious..." .What are you still waiting for.. ??!! Go ahead, make a quick note of the recipe .. try and share with me your feedback.. Here it goes...
- Take rice rava and sabudana in a bowl.Wash well and drain completely.
- To the mixture add curd,water and salt.Mix well.
- Keep this mixture covered in a warm place overnight or for 6 - 8 hours.***refer Note 2
- In the morning, you will notice that the rava and sago have drunk all the liquid and the batter is dry. If so, add about 1/2 a cup of water and bring to the idli batter consistency.
- Prepare seasoning by spluttering mustard seeds in oil.Add cashews to it and fry till brown.Add green chilli ,curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
- Pour this tempering on batter.Add grated coconut and coriander leaves. Mix well.If you want , add baking soda now and mix. Sabudana idli batter is eady to steam.
- Add a spoonful of the batter onto the idli plates and steam for about 15 mins or till a toothpick inserted in the center of the idli comes clear.Allow it to cool a bit and unmould it using a spoon or knife.
- Thats it soft, spongy sabudana Idli's are ready to serve. Serve with Chutney / Sambar/Gojju /Chutney Powder/ sagu / kurma. Enjoy ....!!
- If you don't have rice rava / or you want to make it while fasting , you can still do these idlies using upma rava. I have tried it ,they too taste good.No need to roast rava. But the once made from rice rava are more yummy.
- In case you forgot soaking them in the night or can't wait 6-8 hours, don't worry you can still make them with a minimum of 2-3 hours soaking time. In that case, you have to increase the quantity of sour curd. Else they might taste bland.
- Adding baking soda is purely optional. Sabudana as such makes the idlis soft.
- Sour Curd / buttermilk is a must.
- When these idlis are very hot, they might be little sticky sometime, once warm they 'l be fine.They will be soft even after it cools.
- To make it more healthy, to the batter you can add grated carrot,peas,dill leaves etc.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you share it in Facebook or Twitter or Google+ circles. All it takes is a simple click on the “like,” “share,” “tweet,” or Google+ buttons below the post.Thank you!