SABUDANA THALIPEETH / SABAKKI ROTTI - SABUDANA RECIPES
Rotti is one of the favorite breakfast at my home. Its actually one of the famous dish in Karnataka . I have already shared here Akki rotti , ragi rotti , jowar rotti , easy jowar rotti , thalipeeth and today its another different type of rotti known as " Sabakki Rotti / Sago Roti " . Its known as " Sabudana Thalipeeth " in Maharashtra and one of the most common option during Navaratri and fasting days . Since navaratri is starting from today i thought of sharing the recipe of sabudana thalipeeth so that it can help you all . Serve the sabudana thalipeeth hot with any raita or pickle or chutney .Crisp outside and soft inside... they taste really yummy and are very filling too...
SABAKKI ROTTI / SABUDANA THALIPEETH
- Wash and soak sago overnight (or at least 5-6 hrs) with water just enough to immerse the sago. The next day morning, all water would have got absorbed by the sago and it will be soft and fluffy. It doesn't matter if sabudana has turned little ,mushy for this recipe.
- Once the soaking time is over, drain the sabudana well.
- Pressure cook potatoes,peel them and mash them nicely such that there are no lumps .
- Meanwhile dry roast the peanuts in a pan or microwave. Let they become crisp.Deskin it once cool. I sometimes skip this step if running out of time.
- Coarsely powder the peanuts .
- In a big mixing bowl , take soaked sabudana ,rice flour / rajgira flour , mashed potato , crushed peanuts, jeera, finely chopped ginger-chilli -coriander -curry leaves,salt and little lemon juice.
- Mix everything together well to form a dough. You can add a tbsp of water if the mixture is too dry. Check for salt.
- There are two ways in which you can spread the rotti on the tawa :
- METHOD 1 :Grease a plastic sheet and take a small orange sized ball and pat it evenly with your hands to a medium thin / thick pancake.Wet your hands in between with water to ease the patting.Make a hole on the rotti so that they get cooked uniformly.
- Heat the griddle.When its hot ,put the sheet on the griddle ( rotti side facing the griddle ). Cook the rotti along with the sheet for 30 sec and then slowly remove the foil.Rotti gets transferred from sheet to the griddle.
- Method 2 ----> Use two - three tawas to make rottis using method 2 . Grease the cold tawa and take orange sized dough and pat it evenly on the cold griddle to a medium thin pancake.Switch on flame and cook on medium flame. To make next roti , take another cold greased tawa and pat on them . The 1 st tawa can be re used after cooling it . So you keep rotating tawas while making each roti in this method . Do not attempt to pat the dough on hot tawa as the dough does not spread well. So you keep changing the tawas to make rotis .How to cool tawa quickly ? refer NOTE No. 5
- Once you have patted rottis using method 1 or 2 ,cook them medium heat.Pour some oil in the holes and all over the rotti.Cover and cook till it becomes slightly brown in colour. Then flip the rotti and continue cooking for about a minute or so till the rotti becomes crispy.
- Enjoy delicious Sabudana Thalipeeth hot with any raita, curd or any chutney of your choice.
- You can use rajgira flour ( Amaranth flour ) if fasting / for navaratri .
- If you are finding difficult patting rotis ie if they are breaking , you can increase potato or flour quantity . That will act as binding .
- Soaking timeof sabudana varies from 1 tyoe to other . so experiment a bit and see wat is best for your sabudana . Dont worry even if it becomes little soggy for this recipe.
- Always grease the surface before patting the rotti also wet your hands with water in between the process to helps you pat them evenly .
- How to cool tawa quickly ? Once the rotti on one tawa is cooked take it off from flame, remove the rotti.To reduce the temperature of tawa faster, keep the backside of the pan under running water for 1-2 mins.After about 2-3 mins, tawa is ready and you can pat next rotti.
- Sabudana vada can be made from the recipe.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!