SHRIKHAND RECIPE / INDIAN FLAVORED YOGURT RECIPE
Craving something sweet ? Here's a simple yet exotic dessert made from yogurt to satisfy your sweet tooth . Its also one of the most loved sweet for the day of Janmashtami. Its creamy, soft,delicious n one of my all time favorite desserts. Since krishna Janmashtami is just around the corner , i thought of sharing the recipe of " Shrikand " with you all...
Shrikand is a popular Indian dessert that is actually native to Maharashtrian and Gujarati cuisine . Its basically flavored hung curd.We can make various types of shrikand altering the flavoring ingredient. Though many ready made brands of shrikand are available in market, i somehow don't like most of them. Homemade shrikands are just irresistible all around the year. Its so easy to make them ...there is nothing that can go wrong here even if you are the newbie into the kitchen...
So, what are you waiting for ? Make the tasty and delectable shrikhand at home and enjoy the Janmashtami with all family members , friends and relatives. This time i am sharing the basic Kesar elaichi flavored shrinkand , some other flavor next time...Off i go with the recipe ..
- Take the curd in a clean cheese cloth or muslin cloth .
- Now tie the cloth and hang the curd for 2-5 hours. The whey will drip, so keep a bowl below to collect the whey.Don't hang the cloth in a warm place. The curd will get too sour.
- Meanwhile ,transfer sugar and elaichi to a mixer.Powder nicely and keep aside.
- Soak saffron strands in warm milk and keep aside .
- After 2-5 hours , we will get very thick curd. This is known as hung curd. Transfer the hung curd to a wide bowl .
- Mix together the hung curds,sugar + cardamom powder,saffron mixture and edible camphor in a bowl .Blend using a hand blender / mixer till the mixture is smooth.
- Refrigerate Shrikand and serve chilled. Enjoy chilled Shrikand as such as a dessert or relish them as side dish with Pooris / chapathis .
If you have not tasted this humble dish, i suggest you to try this recipe once coz if a person like me ( who doesn't have a sweet tooth ) can relish this, im sure anyone can !!
You can add dry fruits or fresh cut fruits or fruit pulps to make a creamy fruit dessert as a variation. Fruits that i know blends well with shrikand are mango,strawberry,chikoo, apple,pineapple...
You can also do chocolate shrikand ,kesar pista shrikand ,gulkand shrikand etc.
- If you are in a hurry and have no time to wait for 3-6 hours. Just buy ready made hung curd / Greek yogurt available in supermarkets. and straightly proceed to flavor it.
- To make it more low cal, you can make it using fat free curds.
- Can keep in fridge and use as required for min 1 week. They taste fresh.But many people say you can keep for a month. i am not sure, as i have not tried.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!