SHUNTI TAMBLI (THAMBULI) / GINGER THAMBLI
Today i'll introduce you all to the humble " Thambli ". Its a coastal Karnataka specialty dish .I have never found thamblis in any of the restaurants.Publishing simple,easy,home cooked vegetarian dishes serves the sole purpose of this blog. Thamblis are not spicy, greasy or heavy. Instead they are lite,mild,medicinal and soothing.Its a perfect 1 during summer as it helps in keeping your body cool and aids digestion.We make various kinds of thambli in our home,this is some thing i grew up eating.. recipes passed from 1 generation to the other ...
Thamblis are served cold with hot rice and eaten right at the beginning in a typical Dakshin Kannada meal.Few drink them as coolants too.Basically Thambli is a watery curry made by grinding a herb/vegetable/greens/fruits/spices along with coconut and chillies and mixed with buttermilk and finally topped with a simple tempering. Few of them are not even cooked. They taste different depending on what it’s made out of. These are one of the easiest rice accompaniment that can be prepared in a jiffy.
Today i'll share with you all one such healthy,tasty and simple tambli -"Shunti Thambli aka Ginger Thambli". A simple every day ingredient that adds punch to our meals is ginger.As per Ayurveda ,Ginger has got lot of health benefits like : it aids digestion thus relieves indigestion; it is an effective cure for congestion ,sore throat ,cold and cough ;it is used in treatment of asthma and other respiratory problems;treats dizziness, nausea, vomiting,.. etc . I made a bowl full of these ginger thambli yesterday..Passing you all the recipe ...
For grinding :
- for Grinding.For Tempering..
- In a frying pan , add 1/2 teaspoon of ghee ,ginger,cumin seeds,green chilly and fry them all till the cumin seeds changes in color.
- Grind the fried ingredients along with salt ,coconut and few tbsp of buttermilk .The paste should be super smooth.
- Transfer the ground paste into a serving bowl .Add the remaining buttermilk and mix properly.the consistency of tambli should be thinner than chutney , something like rasam consistency.If you want you can add little water along with curd /buttermilk .
- Next temper the hambli. In a small kadai, add ghee.When ghee is hot, add mustard seeds and jeera seeds. When mustard seeds splutter,add red chilli.and curry leaves.Add this tempering to the thambli mixture.Ginger thambli is ready to serve.Enjoy the soothing ginger tambli with hot rice / drink as such like a coolant ...
- Using fresh coconut and ginger is preferred .
- You can also use oil instead of ghee .However ,It is suggested to use ghee because that adds a special aroma characteristic to this dish, so try using it.
- The curd / buttermilk you use should be sour.
- Don't add much chilly as ginger would have hotness in it.Also thamblis are basically mild in nature .
- You can skip roasting Ginger in step 1.Else you can directly grind raw ginger along with roasted jeera,g.chilli n coconut .That way you'l have a very strong flavored ginger thambli .Few prefer that.However, i don't like raw ginger flavor.You can try both n see which way you like.
- Always serve the thamblis fresh .It won't taste that great if you refrigerate and use next day.They just taste OK.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!