SOYA FRITTERS / SOYA KEEMA BALLS / VEG KOLA URUNDAI
Are you a vegetarian or vegan..looking out for some delicious ways to incorporate protein in your diet ? So today i have for you all an easy snack which is an excellent dish to sneak in protein and calcium packed soya chunks .That's " Soya Kheema Fritters / Soya Nuggets Balls / Vegetarian Kola Urundai / Veg Meat Balls ".They are very soft inside and crispy outside. Perfect for tea time or as a starter ! A sure shot hit in parties and with kids...
Soya nuggets ( also know as meal maker / soya chunks) has protein content equal to that of meat. They are odourless ,tasteless spongy and easy to cook.They also easily absorb any flavors that you cook them with.Considering the health benefits it offers, I make it a point to include it in our diet often. Its also good that my kids also love these soya nuggets.
Once when i had served these soya kheema fritters to one of my non veg friend she was so surprised to know that it was a veg dish . As per her soya nuggets fritters looked exactly and tasted almost like a famous chettinad mutton dish called " Kola Urundai ". This was new to me.On curiosity i did some googling n was amazed by the similarity both the dishes had. Hence felt " Vegetarian Kola Urundai " one of the apt name for this dish. One more best thing about this snack is.. though it is deep fried, it won't absorb much oil if done properly.So what are you waiting for? Go ahead, try it out .. I 'm sure you would love it..
SOYA FRITTERS / SOYA KEEMA BALLS
To grind along with soya:
To cook soya chunks:
- Boil water with milk.Add soya chunks and cook them for 3-5mins.Switch off and let it rest for 15mins.Later drain water and wash it in running water for 1-2 times to get rid of the raw soya smell.
- Squeeze out excess water.
- In a mixer- add soya chunks along with green chillies,ginger and saunf.Grind it to a semi fine or little coarse paste.
- In a mixing bowl add soya paste along with gram flour,rice flour,corn flour ,onion,capsicum, coriander leaves ,garam masala ,chilli powder and salt.Mix well to form a smooth dough.
- Shape them to small balls or long oval shape .
- Heat oil in a pan or kadai.
- When the oil gets heated , drop balls in batches and cook them on low heat till they are evenly cooked and light brown in color.
- Drain on a tissue paper.
- Serve hot hot Soya kheema fritters with tomato ketchup or green chutney.
- Squeezing out excess water is a must...Else when you grind, the soya chunks will become watery and will not hold together to form balls.
- The dough should be such that you should be able to form a ball. If its watery you will not be able to make proper balls also it will absorb more oil . In case its watery add some more besan n rice flour to bind it together.
- You can use soya granules too... then you need not grind them. Just grind other requirements and mix with granules..
- While dropping the ball in the oil , keep the flame on medium n later cook on low flame on low only. Else it will brown easily on the outside but the inside will be uncooked.
- If you want you can add some grated carrot too...
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!