SWEET APPA / APPE RECIPE / NEI APPAM / SWEET PANIYARAM
Festive mood has set in since Ganesh Chaturthi is just a few days away and festivals are almost always synonymous to good food .So my next coming posts will be Ganesh chaturthi special dishes.To start with today i have for you all " Sweet Appa / God Appe / Nei Appam / Vellam Appam / Sweet paniyaram / .... " . Haha .. So many names for a single dish... i guess that's the speciality of Indian dishes.
Sweet appam is basically a traditional South Indian sweet dish made as naivedyam during Vinayaka Chavathi ,Krishna Janmashtami and Karthika deepawali . They are given as prasadam in many Mangalore side and Kerala Ganesha temples. Authentically they are made from rice, jaggery and coconut. The batter is then deep fried in ghee itself . But now-a-days , everyone is conscious .So usually in homes no one deep fries. Its just shallow fried in ghee or ghee + oil mixture using a paniyaram pan. But we have to be little generous in adding ghee otherwise it will not get even browned. I make this appams every year for ganesh Chaturthi as its one of the easiest n quickest dish . Even a newbie to kitchen can successfully do this prasadam .. and taste wise there is no compromise..
Today i am sharing the authentic version f the recipe. Instant no grinding version i'll share next time. Here goes the recipe of Nei Appam / Sweet appa..
- Soak rice in water for 2-4 hours . Drain excess water.
- In a mixer grind rice,jaggerry,coconut and elaichi. Add little water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Transfer to a vessel . The consistency should be like dosa batter / thick milkshake . Nor too thick or too thin. This needs no fermentation, but better if you give 30 mins to 1 hour resting time.
- Heat the appe / paniyaram pan on medium heat. Put few drops of ghee in each hollow of the pan, so that the batter does not stick to the pan.
- Just before making add a pinch of baking soda if you want and give a final mix.
- Pour the batter into each hollow of the pan ,drizzle some more ghee and cover the pan.
- Let the sweet appam cook on medium - low heat.When the top looks cooked and bottom would have turned golden brown, flip them with help of a small spoon.Allow it to cook uncovered for another couple of minutes. Remove from heat .Follow the same procedure with the rest of batter.
- Sweet appa / neiappam is ready to serve. Enjoy them hot / warm as such or with honey or ghee .
- While grinding the batter ,if you want you can add a ripe banana for extra flavor and softness.
- The batter should not be too runny, else it will drink more ghee. If its too thick , it will become too hard.
- In case while grinding the batter became watery, no problem. Adjust the consistency by mixing in a few tsps of rice flour / wheat flour.
- Instead of doing this sweet appams by soaking rice, you can directly do it with wheat flour or rice flour. Just grind coconut ,jaggery n elaichi.Mix it rice /wheat flour.More work reduced. Sweet appam made from wheat flour would be more soft .
- Be generous in adding ghee otherwise it may not get even browned.
- Since jaggery is there , they will get brown color soon. So cook in low flame only.
- In case you don;t have appam /paniyaram pans you can deep fry the appams by pouring a spoonful of batter into oil.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!