THALIPEETH RECIPE / MULTIGRAINS INDIAN FLAT BREAD
Todays dish is " Bhajniche Thalipeeth " which is prepared widely in Maharashtrian household as well as North Karnataka.Its basically a "spiced pancake or flatbread made from multi grains flour ".Needless to say addition of multi grains makes it a very nutritious staple dish that can be eaten as hearty weekend breakfast or as snack or dinner.Hot hot thalipeeth straight from pan with curds and butter..aahh !!..just whats required to keep you full for hours....
In Maharashtra ,we easily get ready made flour mixture in shops called " bhajni " , that is the base for these thalipeeths.Bhajni is actually a flour made by roasting different grains and pulses .But i dont know if its available in other places too. So i always prepare it in home when needed just by mixing 5 flours in a proportion and spice it up with onion and chillies. The end result is always tasty and satisfying.And i couldn't find much change in taste too.
I was introduced to this dish through my granny who's from North Karnataka.As a knowledge transfer, i got the recipe from my mom.After marriage,when i prepared thalipeeth for the first time,my MIL was doubtful initially as though how it would taste,as thalipeeth was a new word for her.But once she munched the first bite, she declared -" hereon we can add Thalipeeth to our menu list. Wow !! its so tasty and very nutrituous too .. ". She quickly made few calls to her friends to tell them my culinary skills , my interest in learning new dishes ..blah blah...So what are you waiting for , if you too want to get some praises , prepare these easy and yummy thalipeeths right away...Im sure all these ingredients would be available in your pantry..
- Add onion,green chilli, coriander, curry leaves and salt in a wide mixing bowl.Mix it nicely by crushing onions with your hands for few minutes. This brings out more flavours from them.
- To the mixing bowl add all flours,groundnut powder,sesame seeds,dhania powder,jeera powder,chilli powder and haldi.
- Start adding warm water little by little and mix it nicely to forma dough. The dough should be such that its easy to spread. It should not be too hard (smoother than the chapathi dough ).
- Grease a plastic sheet / aluminum foil / parchment paper /banana leaf .Take a orange sized dough and pat it evenly with your hands to a medium thin pancake.Wet your hands in between with water to ease the patting.Make 1-3 holes on the thalipeeth so that they get cooked uniformly.
- Heat a griddle. When its hot, transfer thalipeeth carefully to the tawa.Method to transfer thalipeeth from sheet to tawa :When the tawa is hot ,put the sheet on the griddle ( rotti side facing the griddle ). Cook the rotti along with the sheet for 30 sec and then slowly remove the foil.Rotti gets transferred from sheet to the griddle.
- Pour some oil in the holes and all over the thalipeeth.Cover and cook till it becomes slightly brown in colour. Then flip the thalipeeth and continue cooking for about a minute or so till the thalipeeth becomes crispy. Cook on medium heat.
- Repeat the same with the remaining dough.
- Thalipeeth is ready to be served. Relish them hot with pickle ,spiced curd and a dollop of butter...
- The dough will be little sticky becuse of besan and other combination flours. So wet ur hand /grease your hand little to pat them easily.
- To the dough you can also add finely chopped vegetables like cabbage,methi leaves,spring onion,spinach or grated carrot,bottle gaurd,cucumber etc.
- In case you don't have jowar flour,try replacing it with some other flour like bajara (pearl millet ) or rava etc.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!