THATTE IDLI RECIPE / SOFT IDLI RECIPE - KARNATAKA SPECIAL RECIPES
After i got the recipe of these idlis i rarely eat them out now a days coz of the excess soda used in restuarant while making these thatte idlis.Typically cooked rice and beaten rice is added while making thatte idli batter which gives that softness to idli. But in my home , adding cooked rice to the batter , keeping overnight and later using the batter for 1-2 days is not OK . So as a replacement i use sago and it too gives excellent result . Do give a try.. pair it up with some coconut chutney and sambar and be prepared to get loads of appreciation ..
- Wash all the ingredients and soak each seperately . Soak rice n sabudana for 4-5 hours . Urad dal and beten rice for 1-1.5 hours .
- Grind the urad dal first into very very smooth paste adding enough water.Do not add water at once. Add it in intervals.
- Once , urad dal is done , add rice, poha and sabudana and grind adding little water. Grind them all together into smooth batter . The final batter should be smoother than the normal idli batter.
- Transfer the ground batter to a big vessel , add salt , mix well and keep aside for fermentation . let it ferment for 10-12 hours .
- Morning the batter would have fermented . Mix gently before pouring into greased plates. Check the consistency . The batter should not be too watery nor too thick... just slightly thin.
- Heat water in a steamer.If you are adding soda , add at this stage and mix. Grease idli plates with oil .Pour the batter into plates .
- Steam for 10-12 mins on medium flame.Prick a tooth pick,if it comes clean it means its done.Allow it to cool a bit and remove from molds using a greased or wet spoon or knife.
- Thats it soft, spongy Thatte Idli's are ready to serve. Serve with coconut Chutney / tomato chutney / Sambar / Gojju / Chutney Powder.
- As said earier , typically cooked rice is used . So , if you are OK with it repalce sabudana with equal quantity of cooked rice .
- I use small variety sabudana . So 4-5 hours soaking time enough. However , if you are using , bigger type, then you will have to soak them overnight . or the quickest way is add sabudana to hot water and keep it closed for 2-3 hours . This will reduce soaking time .
- Adding cooking soda is optional. In hotels they use but i dont use it. You try and see which way you like.
- The final batter should be smoother than the normal idli batter .
- You can find thatte idli stand easily in steel vessel selling shops .
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!