THIMARE TAMBLI / BRAHMI THAMBULI / BRAHMI HERBAL DRINK
Back today, with one more simple super healthy traditional dish -"Ondelaga thambli / Brahmi Thambli". Yes Brahmi thambli is a very traditional dish of southern Karnataka which probably our great great grandmothers were cooking and passed the recipe from one generation to the other.Its a very basic dish,nutrient -dense and thoughtfully prepared.
We always wonder "how come our ancestors were so fit and full of zeal? ". We on the other hand , once we cross 30s start complaining of so many health issues.One of the reason for that is : our ancestors were very clever and hardworking. What we call now as organic was very common in their backyards.There was no term called processed or packaged food.Use of parts of medicinal plants in food items was once a regular tradition ,which is fast getting out of sight and out of mind .The traditional herbal recipes were meant for keep us fit .
Today's recipe Brahmi thambli is one such dish which can be a part of your meal or consumed as a health drink or as medicine too. Whichever way , they taste incredible and are sure to be craved for..
Brahmi is a creeper that grows in the fields and is a powerhouse of nutrients.Brahmi is known as ondelaga / thimare in kannada and Vallarai in Tamil.It has been extensively used in Ayurveda. It is said that Brahmi leaves when consumed early morning in empty stomach boosts memory power and intelligence level.It has many other medicinal values like it helps in growth of nerve cells,helps in the cure of epilepsy,helps in hair growth when added to hair oil,helps in decreasing dandruff,helps in curing certain skin infections,improves digestive capacity etc.And for better understanding we can term thambli as medicated buttermilk .You can prepare thambli with anything be it fenugreek,coriander,jeera,or any other herbs. Each has its unique flavour and benefits. I had earlier shared Ginger thambli. This is how its prepared:
- Clean and wash brahmi leaves.
- In a pan add few drops of ghee and roast jeera,pepper and green chilli.Fry for a minute.
- Grind raw brahmi leaves,coconut,roasted spices and salt to a very smooth paste in a mixer by adding little water.
- Pour the mixture to a bowl and add buttermilk .Mix well.Adjust the consistency as required.
- Heat the remaining ghee in a small pan.Add mustard seeds and jeera ,when it splutters add curry leaves .Pour the tempering on the thambli .
- Serve with hot steaming rice or relish as such as a drink.
- You can try any other herb like mint, curry leaves,fenugreek leaves,spinach,dill leaves etc . You need to roast them and use .
- I have used raw brahmi leaves in the above as you can ge max nutrient out of it when consumed raw. if you feel the flavor is strong , you can just fry it for 1 min and later grind. But then you are compromising with a healthy dish.
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop your valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!