UDUPI STYLE TOMATO RASAM RECIPE / TOMATO SAARU - KARNATAKA RECIPES
Rasam is the most popular south Indian accompaniment which pairs nicely with rice as well as soup / appetizer . There are many types of rasam one can make. Among the various varity the chosen one for the day is " Tomato Rasam " cooked in Udupi style or " Tomato Saaru " as called in Kannada. Udupi , apart fom being a temple town is popular for its cuisine . Udupi restuarants are popular world wide . Usually Udupi rasam is little sweetish in taste , with mild spiciness and no onion - garlic . Yes... the addition of little jaggery ,coconut oil and final tempering with hing gives a distinct,tempting flavour and taste ... I always make and prefer home made rasam powder as its the heart of a perfect flavourful rasam however if you want you can always use ready made rasam powder available in stores . I usually make it once and store it for few for months . Do try once n i'm damn sure.. you would agree with me. Here we go....
UDUPI STYLE RASAM
To temper :
- Wash the toor dal ,add turmeric and cook for 3 - 4 whistles with 2 cup of water. Mash the cooked dal and keep aside.
- You can use tomatoes in 2 ways. Either cook tomatoes in cooker , mash them and boil it with slitted green chilli . or Chop tomatoes and boil it directly in a vessel along with green chilli .
- When the tomatoes are cooked , mash them lightly . To that add salt , squeezed tamarind pulp , jaggery , rasam powder and cooked tuvar dal. Add water to get desired consistency .
- Let it boil nicely on sim till a bit frothy. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves ,curry leaves and grated coconut . Switch off .
- Finally prepare a tempering. Take a small kadai or pan . Add coconut oil or ghee. When its hot add mustard seeds. When it splutters add jeera and hing. Switch off .Pour the tempering on the hot rasam and close the lid. Allow it to sit for some time so the aroma of the tempering infuses in the rasam . .
- Serve hot tomato rasam with hot rice drizzled with ghee .
- The key to make a delicious flavorful rasam lies in the spice blend used while making it. So as far as possible to get the perfect authentic taste of udupi rasam try making homemade rasam powder following my recipe shared previously .
- Addition of coconut oil for roasting spices and fortempering gives that distinct taste .
- Try not to omit jaggery and hing . Add atleast little .
- Thickness of the rasam depends on your choice.
- As you boil , taste of rasam increases .
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!