VANGI BHATH ( BHAAT / BATH ) RECIPE / BRINJAL RICE
After learning to make home made Vangi Bath powder , its time to cook " Vangi Bhath / Brinjal Rice " and treat your taste buds with this spicy , yummy, easy and quick one pot meal . This simple dish fits perfectly for all occasions weather traditional functions / party / lunch / to carry for lunch box. Though in Karnataka , people make vangi bath using various veggies typically vangi bath is translated as brinjal rice . So today i'll be using brinjal.Over the time i'll post some more masala bath recipes where vangi bath powder can be used . ( like rava bath , capsicum bath , gorikayi bath )
Heart of a tasty vangi bath lies in the perfect vangi bath powder ( recipe for it here ) . I always make and prefer home made vangi bath powder however if you want to finish it off really quick , then you can always use ready made powder available in stores . So are you ready to jot down the recipe of " Authentic Karnataka Style Vangi Bath " ? Here it goes....
To temper :
- Wash rice and cook it in the proportion 1 : 2 / 2.5 ie 1 glass rice ,2 glass water.The cooked rice grains should be separate,not mushy.Once cooked, spread the cooked rice on a wide plate.This will make the grains separate further & also helps to cool quickly.It has to be cooled properly before using.
- Cut brinjal into thin, long, pieces as shown in pic. keep them immersed in water to avoid discolouration .
- In a kadai / pan heat oil . Once its hot add mustard, lentils and ground nut / cashew . Once they splutter add curry leaves,chopped brinjals and onion ( if adding ) . Saute for 2-3 mins .
- Next add chopped capsicum ( if adding ) , little salt and turmeric. Saute for 2-3 mins .
- Now add tamarind water ( extracted from soaked tamarind) , salt, vangibath powder and little water .Mix everything , close the lid and cook till brinjal pieces are cooked.they should be just done but not mushy .
- Finally add grated kopra and give a gentle mix. switch off after the extra moisture has evaporated.
- Our vangi bath masala to be mixed with rice is ready . This masala should not be too dry or liquidy . Hope you can make out the consistency from my picture.
- Add cooked rice to the vangi bath masala. Drizzle some lemon juice , salt and mix well . Taste test .
- Relish the tasty vangi baath as such or with some raita . If you allow it to sit for some time after mixing , the rice would taste more tasty as it would have taken in the flavours well. Usually vangi bath is not served hot . However if you want , you can warm it while serving .
- Don't make the rice mushy . It will spoil the taste. Add few drops of ghee / oil and few drops of lemon while making rice for pulao . This will help the rice grains to remain separate .
- addition of onions n capsicum is purely optional . i sometimes add and at times don't.
- If you want you can add some fresh peas too .
- Do not add too much salt and tamarind to the masala as the brinjal pieces will absorb them. thats the reason while mixing i am adding again some salt and lemon juice. this way your brinjal pieces will be perfectly spiced.
- Long green tender brinjals tastes best for vangibath.However if it is not available you can use other varieties .but pick fresh and tender ones only
Thanks for reading the post....plz drop ur valuable comments.. it really motivates me...Also If you liked this post, I would really love it if you could share it ...Thank you !!