After learning to make home made Vangi Bath powder , its time to cook ” Vangi Bhath / Brinjal Rice ” and treat your taste buds with this spicy , yummy, easy and quick one pot meal . This simple dish fits perfectly for all occasions weather traditional functions / party / lunch / to carry for lunch box. Though in Karnataka , people make vangi bath using various veggies typically vangi bath is translated as brinjal rice . So today i’ll be using brinjal.Over the time i’ll post some more masala bath recipes where vangi bath powder can be used . ( like rava bath , capsicum bath , gorikayi bath )
Heart of a tasty vangi bath lies in the perfect vangi bath powder ( recipe for it here ) . I always make and prefer home made vangi bath powder however if you want to finish it off really quick , then you can always use ready made powder available in stores . So are you ready to jot down the recipe of ” Authentic Karnataka Style Vangi Bath ” ? Here it goes….
Print Recipe VANGI BATH Yum
Flavored rice made from brinjal
Wash rice and cook it in the proportion 1 : 2 / 2.5 ie 1 glass rice ,2 glass water.The cooked rice grains should be separate,not mushy.Once cooked, spread the cooked rice on a wide plate.This will make the grains separate further & also helps to cool quickly.It has to be cooled properly before using.
Cut brinjal into thin, long, pieces as shown in pic. keep them immersed in water to avoid discolouration .
In a kadai / pan heat oil . Once its hot add mustard, lentils and ground nut / cashew . Once they splutter add curry leaves,chopped brinjals and onion ( if adding ) . Saute for 2-3 mins .
Next add chopped capsicum ( if adding ) , little salt and turmeric. Saute for 2-3 mins .
Now add tamarind water ( extracted from soaked tamarind) , salt, vangibath powder and little water .Mix everything , close the lid and cook till brinjal pieces are cooked.they should be just done but not mushy .
Finally add grated kopra and give a gentle mix. switch off after the extra moisture has evaporated.
Our vangi bath masala to be mixed with rice is ready . This masala should not be too dry or liquidy . Hope you can make out the consistency from my picture.
Add cooked rice to the vangi bath masala. Drizzle some lemon juice , salt and mix well . Taste test .
Relish the tasty vangi baath as such or with some raita . If you allow it to sit for some time after mixing , the rice would taste more tasty as it would have taken in the flavours well. Usually vangi bath is not served hot . However if you want , you can warm it while serving .
- Don't make the rice mushy . It will spoil the taste. Add few drops of ghee / oil and few drops of lemon while making rice for pulao . This will help the rice grains to remain separate .
- addition of onions n capsicum is purely optional . i sometimes add and at times don't.
- If you want you can add some fresh peas too .
- Do not add too much salt and tamarind to the masala as the brinjal pieces will absorb them. thats the reason while mixing i am adding again some salt and lemon juice. this way your brinjal pieces will be perfectly spiced.
- Long green tender brinjals tastes best for vangibath.However if it is not available you can use other varieties .but pick fresh and tender ones only