After a long time i am posting a sweet recipe here. ” 7 cup Burfi / Seven Cup Sweet ” is one of the most popular and commonest sweet one prepares for diwali in South India . Guess what … I too had prepared it and clicked it last Diwali itself. Haha….Don’t know why for some reasons the poor guy was sitting in drafts since then and today finally got a chance to feature here. Make this delicious and easy burfi this Holi and enjoy this sweet treat with your friends and relatives…
This sweet is called 7 cup burfi as the total no of cups of all the ingredients used for making the sweet sums to 7 . The authentic recipe calls for 1 cup besan + 1 cup coconut + 1 cup milk + 1 cup ghee + 3 cups sugar . For me , this proprtion yields too sweet burfi . So i reduce the sugar quantity . You can either follow my proportions or try the typical one and see which you like. You can use any cup for measurement but see to it that all the ingredients are measured in the same cup . Seven Cup Barfi is probably one of the first few sweets i had tried and succedeed during my initial years cooking. Yes it’s one of those beginners delight where the chance’s to err are very less but the final judgement of consistency is very crucial. Do try out it friends and i am sure you would agree with me… Here you go…
Check Out the Video recipe here :
7 CUP BURFI RECIPE
- 1 Cup Gram Flour Besan
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup grated fresh Coconut
- 1 Cup Ghee, ( i add 3/4 cup )
- 2 Cups Sugar
- Grease a plate and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan / kadai, add a spoon of ghee . Add Besan and roast on medium flame for 3-4 mins. Be careful not to over roast or change the color of besan . We would be roasting it again later with other ingredients. Just to be on the safer side we are doing this step .Switch off.
- Next to the same kadai add all the ingredients ie. slightly roasted besan ,grated coconut ,sugar,ghee and milk . Mix well so that no lumps are formed . Once everything is mixed well , place the kadai on flame.
- Keep the flame on medium and keep stirring the mixture continuously . You will observe that once the mixture gets heated , it will start becoming thin .
- As you continue stirring , you will notice that the mixture is getting thicker , darker and bubbles are forming.Continue the stirring process so that that mixture doesn't stick to the bottom and gets burned . You need some patience and constant stirring here
- Once the mixture starts leaving the surface and becomes a single mass and its done. At this stage you will notice having difficulty mixing , which is also an indication that it's done. You will see that it has a porus texture now. A good 7 cup burfi is determined from this. Hope you are able to make it out what i mean from the picture .
- Transfer to the greased plate . Tap the tray and using a spatula spread it evenly to get desired thickness. Smoothen the surface using the base of a greased cup. When still warm, make markings of desired shape and size.
- Seven Cup Burfi is ready. Stays good without refrigeration for max 8-10 days.
- Good quality besan plays a very crucial part in this recipe. If the besan is not good, it may not take in the required ghee / might turn little bitter / might turn a bit hard .
- Typically 7 cup = 1 cup besan + 1 cup coconut + 1 cup milk + 1 cup ghee + 3 cups sugar . But i reduce both ghee and sugar quantity .
- You can use any cup for measurement but see to it that all the ingredients are measured in the same cup
- If you want you can add little cardamom powder .