Today i bring to you the very nutritious, healthy and tasty “ADAI DOSA aka Mixed Lentil Dosa “. It is basically a combination of rice with different lentils all soaked together and ground to form a thick batter .The batter is later spiced up based on your preferred choice. You can mix and match with the lentils and still you will get a great tasting adai. The various lentils present in the dosa make it very proteinaceous and nutritious.
Adai dosa is a popular South Indian breakfast variety .Traditionally ,the batter for Adai is ground thicker and coarser than the regular dosa batter and it does not require any fermentation.However ,in my version the batter is fermented like regular dosa ‘s as i feel without fermentation these dosas are very heavy, and too filling.Fermentation makes it bit lighter , crispier and more tastier ..You can try out both the ways and see how you like. Over to the recipe ….
To grind batter -
- 2 cup Dosa rice / Normal rice
- 1/4 cup Black Gram /split Urad Dal
- 1/4 cup Bengal Gram Chana Dal
- 1/4 cup split Pigeon peas / Toor dal
- 1/4 cup green gram Moong dal
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2 tbsps Dry green peas (optional )
- 2 tbsps Kidney Beans Rajma (optional )
- 2 tbsps Chickpea Chana (optional )
- 4 - 5 Red Chillies
- A big pinch Asafoetida/ hing
- to taste Salt
Spice up Adai:
- 1/2 cup grated coconut (optional)
- onion Chopped
- Grated Carrot
- drumstick leaves Chopped ( optional )
- 3 or 4 Green Chillies
- 1 inch Ginger peice
- few Curry Leaves chopped
- Coriander leaves
- 1 tsp Jeera / Cumin seeds
- Take all ingredients mentioned under to grind batter in a large bowl wash it with water 1-2 times and soak in water for 4-5 hours.
- Drain the excess water and grind the ingredients in a mixer or grinder for 20-30 minutes until it reaches dosa batter consistency.
- Transfer the batter to a container add salt and keep aside overnight for fermentation.***( IMP : See Note No. 2)
- In the morning , mix the batter well , add hing to it.
- Heat a skillet/tawa .Take a laddle full of the batter and spread uniformly thin dosas, drizzle with little oil/ ghee.Cover the lid for approx 15 sec.Remove the lid and cook over medium flame till it is crisp and golden brown in color all around.
- Plain crispy Adai Dosa ready to serve...!!! Relish it with coconut chutney / chutney powder / aviyal .But how to make Spicy Adai Dosa ?
- Coarsely grind coconut, ginger,green chilly and jeera.Add this to the batter along with grated carrot,finely chopped (onion+coriander leaves+curry leaves).Keep aside for 5mins so that the flavour gets transferred to the batter.
- After 5 mins,proceed to make dosa.Since you have added onions and carrot,you cannot spread it too thin,it will be slightly thicker and you need to roast on both sides.Spicy Adai Dosa is ready...
- Serve hot along with aviyal or coconut chutney or chutney powder or any other accompaniments.Few like it with Jaggery plus butter/Ghee.Let me know how you relished your Adai Dosa?
- If you don't want fermentation, once the batter is ready, you can immediately do dosa. Few like this way too ..
- *** Since the batter is made with raw lentils, it gets fermented quickly.In summer about 4-5 hrs fermentation is more than enough.To be safe,before fermenting the batter, set aside 25 % quantity of batter for refrigeration .Next Morning, in case the batter has got fermented more and has turned sour ,don't worry...you can mix the refrigerated batter to the over fermented batter and get perfect batter !! Adai dosa tastes good when lightly fermented .