Gassi Recipe | Manglorean style Gassi recipe | Alasande kalu Gasi recipe | How to do Mangalore style lobia curry | Black eyes peas curry recipe
Today i have for you all .. coastal Karnataka special dish popularly known as Gassi /Ghasi. It’s a very simple traditional dish yet comforting and delicious. Filled with the goodness of legumes and freshly ground aromatic spices .. this creamy coconut base Gassi tastes yummilicious with Rice, chapthi , Dosa / Ubbu rotti etc.
One can make gasi from various veggies and legumes like Peas , Channa , Yam ,Mangalore cucumber , Potato etc .. and the most popular of all Khori Gassi ( Chicken Curry ) but for today the chosen one is Black Eyed Peas / Lobia / Alasande kalu .The base masala for any gasi remains same but each gassi is unique in it’s own way . I had shared few days the step by step recipe of this lobia gasi in Instagram. And i got so many positive testimonials for this dish and was happy to see many people trying this dish even before i blogged . Do give a try and share your feedback … i am sure you will like it… Here you go …
ALASANDE KALU GASI RECIPE
- 1 cup Black eyed Peas / Lobia / Alsande Kalu
- 1 large onion, chopped (optional )
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp Mustard
- few Curry Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Haldi turmeric
- 2-4 tsp Oil / coconut oil, Coconut oil pref for authentic taste
Masala to grind
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 tsp Rice
- 1 1/2 tsp Coriander Seeds Dhania
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 4-5 nos Red Chilli, according to pref ; use byadgi + guntur mix for color n spice
- 1 tsp Soaked Tamarind
- small piece Jaggery
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook alsande kalu or lobia for 3-4 whistles, add little haldi .If you have soaked overnight, cook for 2 whistles only as it gets cooked quickly .
- Cook such that lobia has retained shape and firm.. but when pressed mushy. Keep aside to be used later.
- In a kadai , heat oil/coconut oil and splutter mustard seeds. I would recommend using coconut oil for authentic taste . Add chopped Onion & curry leaves. Saute 1-2 mins till onions are translucent .
- Later add tomato , salt and haldi . Saute till tomatoes are little mushy .
- Meanwhile .. grind all the ingredients mentioned under masala adding little water. Make a smooth paste.
- Add ground masala , cooked lobia and water as required to sauteed onion tomato mix . Combine everything
- Boil gassi well . When it's boiling add 1-2 tsp coconut oil. Switch off and let it sit for few minutes . Since i have added byadgi chilli , the color of the curry is deep red colour.
- Enjoy Alsande Kalu Gassi / Mangalore style Lobia Curry with hot rice / chapathi / dosa .
- You can replace lobia with peas /channa/yam/potato/sambar cucumber / just onion tomato etc.
- If you want you can also add potato to this curry.