I am sure most of us love potatoes.Don’t we? This post is dedicated to all potato lovers,a classic North Indian recipe of ” Aloo Methi Subzi “, a simple and flavorful stir fry of fresh fenugreek leaves,potatoes and a combination of spices.A wonderful side dish with almost anything from rotis to rice.The versatile potatoes get an incredible flavour from the aromatic methi leaves .
Many don’t like fenugreek leaves because of its bitterness , but for me its one of my favorite greens. I just love methi leaves for its flavour and for the reason that its packed with nutrients.Health benefits of methi are extensive as they are rich in iron ,vitamins,also has anti -diabetic properties, helps in reducing high cholesterol etc. Because of these and many more amazing properties, fenugreek is widely used in many home remedies and beauty treatments.
Let me not bore you all with my tete a tete , but quickly come back to today’s post .Recipe for Aloo methi subzi varies slightly from states to states , homes to homes .But the end result is always delicious. For this subzi, i prefer to use parboiled potatoes as it reduces the cooking time. Here goes the simple recipe
- 4 big size potato, -
- 2 cup approx fenugreek/ methi leaves, Fresh
- 1/2 Cup Kasoori methi
- 1 big size onion, ; finely chopped
- 2 - 4 flakes Garlic, ( optional ) ; finely minced
- small piece Ginger, ; finely minced or grated
- 2 - 3 Green Chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 1 Bay leaf / tejpatta
- 1 Red Chilli, - broken to pieces
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric / Haldi powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Coriander/ Dhania powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin /Jeera powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 1/2 tsp dry Mango /Amchoor
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- Salt, as per taste
- 2 - 3 tbsps Oil
- Remove hard stems of methi leaves. Use only leaves and tender stems.Wash the methi leaves and chop them finely.
- Par boil the potatoes.Peel them and cut them to cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan.Add tejpatta,jeera and red chilli. When cumin splutters add onion,ginger,garlic and green chilli.Saute till onions turn translucent.
- Now add methi leaves and little salt.. Saute for about 2-4 mins
- Once the methi leaves are cooked 50 %, add all the dry powders one by one ie haldi,red chilli powder,salt,dhania powder,jeera powder ,amchoor powder and garam masala. Mix well.
- Add partially cooked cubed potato to the spicy methi mixture. Mix well. Keep on medium flame and cook covered for few minutes stirring in between.Sprinkle some water if required.Cook till potatoes are well cooked and absorb all spices.Switch off.
- Thats it , Aloo methi subzi is ready to relish. Serve hot with rotis / any Indian bread of your choice / rice .
- In case you don't like the bitterness of methi leaves ,once you chop them ,sprinkle little salt on them and keep it aside for 15 mins.After 15 mins,squeeze out excess water from methi leaves and use.But i don't advise it .
- In case you don't have fresh methi leaves you can use dried methi leaves available as kasoori methi in stores.Soak it in water for abt 5 mins, squeeze out extra water and add.
- If you don't like Onion ,ginger n garlic you can avoid it.The stir fry tastes good without them too.
- Instead of amchoor powder you can also add chopped tomatoes.In that case add it after onion sauteing step .
- Left over can be used for sandwich.Tastes yum...