Today i have for you all one of my childhood favorite dish ” Aloo Paratha ” .. the dish which has many sweet memories associated with it.. the dish which makes me feel nostalgic .Though i have been eating aloo paratha and cooking it since many years , i wonder if i’ll ever get bored of it. ” Aloo paratha cooked in Punjabi Style ” happens to be my family favorite too. Relishing hot hot Punjabi Aloo paratha served straight off the tawa, with a dollop of butter, pickle and some homemade curd…Aah..bliss !! A perfect weekend breakfast ….isn’t it ?
This recipe has been sitting in my drafts for almost a year as I know Aloo Paratha is the most common, one makes in the stuffed paratha category. I finally decided to post it as ingredients used to make potato stuffing varies from recipe to recipe. The one that i am sharing is my mom’s recipe , who in turn learnt it from a punjabi aunty .So i can assure you all that this recipe would gives you an authentic punjabi , dhaba taste aloo paratha. Aloo paratha’s taste best with more stuffing . So don’t be Kanjoos whilestuffing the potato mixture into the dough. Try it.. you will see how soft and tasty your paratha’s turn . But many ( even I , in the initial years ) face difficulty while rolling the parathas when the stuffing is more as it oozes out . I am sure My step by step pics of making aloo paratha and tips in the end would help you in this. Here you go…..
ALOO PARATHA RECIPE
For The chapathi dough:
- 1 1/2 cup Wheat flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- as required Water
- Wheat flour maida, for dusting
- 1 tsp Oil
For the Stuffing :
- 2 big Potatoes, boiled and peeled
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 - 3 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger, grated
- few sprigs Coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp Fennel /Saunf, crushed
- 1 tsp Dhania powder /Corinader powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Powder/ Jeera powder
- 1 tsp Amchur / dried mango powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
- to taste Salt
- Ghee and Oil, to roast parathas
To prepare Dough :
- In a wide mixing bowl take wheat flour, salt and ghee. Mix it with your fingers ,then add little by little water, gather to form a soft pliable dough.Knead it well.The dough should not be too tight or too loose, it should be non sticky at this stage.Allow it to rest covered for at least 30mins.
To prepare stuffing :
- Mash the boiled pelled potatoes into a bowl.
- To it add chopped onion,green chillies,ginger,coriander leaves,dhania powder, jeera powder,crushed saunf,amchoor powder,garam masala and salt. Mix well .
- Stuffing for Aloo paratha is ready.
To prepare Parathas:
- Make equal sized balls out of the dough.
- To dust use maida /wheat flour and roll them to thick small circles.Thick at center, thin at edges.Keep 1-2tbsp of stuffing in the center, seal it up nicely by pulling all the edges to the center as shown in the pic.Repeat the same with all the dough and stuffing.
- With the help of dry flour, roll the parathas into thick or thin discs as per your preference .
- Heat a griddle, transfer the paratha on to griddle carefully and cook them on both sides by drizzling oil/ghee/butter.cook till both the sides has golden spots
- Soft,delicious,hot Aloo parathas are ready to serve.Enjoy them hot with pickle and / plain curd / raita ...
- Mash the potatoes properly else you will not be able to roll them properly.
- Don't add onion and leave for a long time.That will leave water.
- It is important that always the stuffing for parathas should be dry. Also the stuffing has to be in room temperature before filling. Else liquid will ooze out while rolling
- While rolling for the first time don't give more pressure in the center as the filling is going to be placed in the center.Roll very gently and dust the flour as reqd.Centre be little thick and edges little thin.
- If you are a beginner, start preparing parathas with little quantity of filling and gradually increase the stuffing.
- If you want you can add few crushed mint leaves or kasoori methi to the stuffing .
- Below is a comparatively easier method for beginners, to make mess free parathas.
- make small equal sized balls from dough. Roll out small round rotis from it.
- Keep 2 teaspoons of stuffing in the center .Place another similar size of roti over it. Press the edges properly. ( like a sandwich )
- slightly roll the rolling pin over the paratha and make it to the desired size and thickness.