Amla Tambli recipe with step by step photos | Nellikai tambuli recipe | Amla recipes
Amla Tambli / Nellikai Tambuli – A bowl filled with deliciousness and satvik good health !!! A traditional age old dish from South Canara – Malenadu region . It’s so easy, tasty and super healthy. Relish with some hot rice … Simple, yet the most comforting dish. This tambli works as a great digestive aid.
You Can check out the nellikayi tambli tambli video here :
What is Tambli ??
Let me introduce you all to the humble dish ” Tambli “. Tambli is unique to the state of Karnataka especially Udupi – Mangalore & Malnad region. Tamblis are not spicy, greasy or heavy. Instead, they are lite, mild, medicinal and soothing. Tambuli is derived from Kannada word thampu. (ತಂಪು+ಹುಳಿ->ತಂಬುಳಿ). Thampu meaning cool/cold. So thambuli is a cooling and detox food. It’s a perfect summer food as it helps in keeping your body cool and aids digestion. It is served cold with hot rice and eaten right at the beginning in a typical Dakshin Kannada meal. Few drink them as coolants too.
Basically, Tambli is a thin yoghurt based curry made by grinding a herb/vegetable/greens/fruits/spices along with coconut and chillies and mixed with buttermilk and finally topped with a simple tempering. Few of them are not even cooked. They taste different depending on what it’s made out of. These are one of the easiest rice accompaniment that can be prepared in a jiffy.
We make various kinds of tambli in our home, this is something I grew up eating.. recipes passed from 1 generation to the other. I have never found tamblis in any of the restaurants. Publishing simple, easy,home-cooked vegetarian dishes serves the sole purpose of this blog.
Why is Amla Tambli recipe healthy ??
We all know how healthy Amla being rich in Vitamin C , Vitamin E , best medicine for diarrhoea , indigestion and a great immunity booster. Amla is very good for hair too. There are many ways one can include Amla in our diet.
There are two varieties of nellikai . The big ones, bettada nellikai is a little tart with a tinge of bitterness as an afternote. Whereas , the smaller version, kiru nellikai is very sour. There are various ways we can in corporate amla in our diet like Amla Rasam , Amla Rice , Amla Thokku , Amla Murabba , Amla Chutney etc and this tambli is one such.
Few points to note while making Nellikai Tambuli :
- Amla : We usually use bigger variety amla ( bettada nellikai ) for tambli . You can either use fresh amla / dried / frozen one .
- Curd / Butter Milk : You can either use curd or butter milk for making tambli . However , as per ayurveda , buttermilk is best for health and since this is healthy dish , we usually use buttermilk .
- Coconut : Use fresh coconut for best taste . Do not skip completely , however if you want can add just very little.
- Ghee : For making tambli , always use ghee as it enhances taste . Also little ghee everyday is good for health
- Pepper : When compared to green chilli , pepper is more healthy and flavourful . Hence , for tambli usually pepper is used as major and just 1 green chilli if required .
- Tambli is a mild dish , so don’t make it spicy .
- Ajwain : Combination of amla and ajwain is best . Adding few ajwain seeds in tempering , takes the tambli to a new level . Also it aids digestion, making the dish more healthy.
How to make Amla Tambli recipe with step by step photos :
In a vessel boil water . Add amla to it . Cook for 5-6 mins. Alternatively , you can pressure cook for 2 whistles / steam cook.
Cool, cooked amla. Once they are cool, you can just press the amla along the wedges ( lines ) and de seed it. It’s very easy to deseed it this way. Keep the pulp aside and discard the seeds.
In a pan add tsp of ghee and roast Jeera,pepper and green chilli.Fry for a minute.Let they get crispy and aromatic. Keep aside to cool .
To a mixer add coconut
Add cooked amla , roasted spices and salt.
Add 1/2 cup curd / butter milk and grind to a very smooth paste.
The smooth paste looks almost like a chutney .
Transfer the ground paste to a serving bowl . Add remaining 1/2 cup buttermilk . Mix well . If required add water and adjust the consistency .
Prepare a tempering . Heat ghee . Splutter mustard . Add ajwain , curry leaves and few broken pieces of curd chilli. Pour the tempering to the mixing bowl .
Serve Amla thambli with hot rice .Keep in fridge if not using immediately to prevent curd from souring.
Amla thambli / Nellikai Tambuli
- 3-5 nos Amla / Nellikai
- 1/4 cup Coconut
- 1-1 1/2 cup Butter milk / Curd, as required
- Salt to taste
To Roast ( Masala )
- 1 tsp Jeera / Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 no Green Chilli
- 1 tsp Ghee
- 1-2 tsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Ajwain seeds / Oma
- few Curry leaves
- 1 no Curd Chilli / Sandige Menasu , ( optional )
- In a vessel boil water . Add amla to it . Cook for 5-6 mins. Alternatively , you can pressure cook for 2 whistles / steam cook.
- Cool, cooked amla. Once they are cool, you can just press the amla along the wedges ( lines ) and de seed it. It's very easy to deseed it this way. Keep the pulp aside and discard the seeds.
- In a pan add tsp of ghee and roast Jeera,pepper and green chilli.Fry for a minute.
- Let they get crispy and aromatic. Keep aside to cool .
- To a mixer add coconut , de seeded amla , roasted spices , salt to taste and butter milk .
- Grind very very smooth .
- Transfer the ground paste to a bowl . Add remaining buttermilk . Mix well.
- If required add water to adjust consistency.
- Prepare a tempering. In a small kadai, heat ghee. Splutter mustard . Add ajwain , curry leaves and curd chilli . Saute for a min .
- Pour the tempering over tambli . Enjoy it with hot rice.