Ash Gourd Dosa Recipe With Step by Step photos | Boodu Kumbalai Dosa
Today I have for you all a traditional coastal Karnataka dish – ” Ash Gourd Dosa ” prepared from the pulp of Ash gourd which is usually thrown as waste. High on water content and fibre.. ash gourd is very good for summer. It is also a low-calorie veggie , hence good for weight management has a cooling effect on the body. One can use the veggie to make Sambar, majjige huli etc and the soft pulp can be used to make this dosa/chutney/ tambli etc. Next time you buy Ash gourd and are about to discard the pulp, you know what you have to do ..!!!
If we peep into traditional grandmas kitchen, we are sure to find numerous ways in which they incorporated the peels, seeds and kernels .. they would hardly throw anything and make sure all the nutrients from each veggie is utilized fully. There are so many things to learn from our ancestors, isn’t it… One can make tambli too out of these Ash gourd pulp.. i will share the recipe sometime later. For now .. are you ready to jot down this soft Ash Gourd Dosa recipe… Here you go …
ASH GOURD DOSA / BOODU KUMBALAKAI DOSA / ASH GOURD RECIPES
- 1 Big cup Ash Gourd Rind
- 2 cup Raw Rice / Dosa rice / Sona Masoori
- 1/4 cup Urad dal
- 1 tsp Methi seeds
- fistful Thick Poha
- 1/4 cup coconut Grated
- Salt to taste
- Oil to make dosa
- Soak Sona Masoori rice , Urad dal and Methi seeds for 4-5 hours.
- 1-2 hours before grinding .. add a fistful of poha to the soaked ingredients .
- Separate the upper soft pulp or thirulu from ash gourd. Deseed the rind and discard seeds.The actual ash gourd veggie use for making sambar, majjige huli etc.
- We will be using only the softest pulp part for this dosa. We can also make chutney / tambli with this rind.
- Grind ash gourd rind and grated coconut . No need to add water .
- To the ground ash gourd Coconut mix .. add soaked rice mix. Grind smooth. Add salt, mix and allow to ferment. Note that Ash gourd pulp has a lot of water so make sure .. you grind the batter really thick. Cover and keep aside.
- Morning .. you will see that the batter has fermented well. Mix and check the consistency. Add water if required to get regular dosa batter consistency.
- Heat a tawa. Pour a ladle full of batter and do like uthappam. Drizzle few drops of oil, cover and cook .
- Once the dosa s are cooked from one side , if you want can serve as such or flip and roast other side too. If you want can do thin regular type dosa too ... but ash gourd rind dosa tastes best soft utappam type .
- Soft Ash gourd Rind Dosa is ready to relish. Enjoy it hot with choice of chuney / sambar / chutney powder .
- Instead of pulp .. you can make this dosa using the actual veggie also.
- One can make thick uttapam type dosa or make thin regular type dosa .
- Same recipe instead of ash gourd pulp you can use Mangalore cucumber Pulp / Bottle gourd pulp .
- For a slight sweet version , you can add little jaggery .