Avarekalu Uppittu Recipe with step by step pictures | Karnataka style Avarekalu Upma recipe with step by step pictures | How to do Avarekalu Akki Tari Uppittu | Arisi Upma
Today I have for you all a famous dish from Karnataka ” Avarekalu Akki Tari Uppittu “- a simple & tasty Upma using rice Rava and hyacinth beans. it’s easy to make, delicious to taste and very filling. One can enjoy it for breakfast/snacks/dinner, the choice is your’s…any time of the day, you will definitely relish this traditional age-old dish !! Addition of avarekalu completely takes humble upma to a different level… full of flavours !! A plate of piping hot Avarekalu upma with little pickle at the side … can make me anytime hungry.. how about you ??
What is Avarekalu?
For people who are wondering what is Avarekalu, let me tell its ” Hyacinth beans/field beans / flat beans/lima beans “in English, in Tamil ” Mochai ”, In Gujarati ” Surti Papdi Lilva ”, in Marathi ” Vaal ”. The tiny seeds have a unique taste and are seasonal … available mostly around Autumn-winter.
How to do avarekalu uppittu ?
Avarekalu uppittu means Upma made using these field beans. One can make upma from sooji / Bansi Rava / rice Rava / millets and taste of each varies. Today I am sharing how to do avarekalu upma using rice rava. Even rice Rava upma I do 2 types – one the regular tempering version and other wherein roasted jeera and pepper powder is used to flavor. Will share jeera – pepper version some time .. for now, let’s enjoy this super easy Akki Tari Avarekalu Uppittu.
What is Rice rava and how to make at home ?
You can make rice rava at home or buy ready-made that’s available at the store. And yes note that… idli Rava is different and upma rice rava is different. Idli Rava is made with parboiled rice while rice Rava is with raw rice. The raw rice Rava is what is used for making this upma.
If you don’t have rice rava, you can make it at home like this: Soak raw rice for 1hr. Drain water completely. Spread it on a cloth or paper towel for about 10 mins,so that the grains become dry. Grind the rice in a mixer to a coarse consistency. Homemade rice rava is ready..
Off to akki tari upma recipe now ..
AVAREKALU AKKI TARI UPPITTU RECIPE / AVAREKAI RICE RAVA UPMA / AVAREKALU UPMA
- 1 cup Rice Rava / Akki Rava
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup avarekalu or filed beans tender
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 medium size onion chopped
- 3-4 no green chili chopped
- small piece Ginger finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh grated coconut or little less
- Coriander leaves finely chopped
- Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Bengal gram dal or chana dal
- 1-2 nos Red Chillies broken to pieces
- Pressure cook the Avrekaalu/hyacinth beans with 1 cup water for 2 whistles with little salt until it gets tender and cooked.
- Heat oil + ghee in a pan/ Kadai. Add in mustard seeds, urad dal and chana dal. When mustard seed splutters, Keep the stove on medium flame and add red chilli.
- When the dal turns brown add in curry leaves, chopped ginger, chopped green chillies and chopped onion.Fry until onion turns translucent.
- Add rice Rava and roast for 2-3 mins, it does not need to change its colour...just aromatic is enough.
- Add 2 cup hot boiled water , cooked avarekalu along with water ( around 1/2 cup water ) and salt. Mix well. total around 2.5-3 cup water for 1 cup rice rava.
- Close the lid and allow it to cook for 5-6 minutes under low medium flame until all water is absorbed and rice rava is cooked.
- Add grated coconut, lemon juice and coriander leaves at the end and give a nice stir.
- Serve avarekalu akki tari uppittu hot as such or with Pickle /Thokku /chutney pudi.
- You can follow the same recipe and replace rice Rava with normal sooji or bansi rava and make regular upma. You can increase the water quantity to 2 1/2 cups if you want a soft upma.
- I have used 1:2.5 cup rice rava : water ratio ..
- Avarekalu could be replaced with frozen peas / fresh peas.