Today i am sharing a classic Karnataka special recipe ” Avarekalu Usli / Avarekalu Curry ” . Avarekalu usli is a semi solid type of curry made from seasonal fresh Avarekalu / Field Beans .Its simple , very easy to make and super yummy to taste .. a must during avarekalu season !! Avarekalu usli with akki ubbu rotti / chapathi is one super yummy combination ….
For people who are wondering what is Avarekalu , let me tell its ” Hyacinth beans / field beans / flatbeans / lima beans “in English, in tamil ” Mochai ” , In Gujarati ” Surti Papdi Lilva ” , in MarathiVaal ” . So avarekalu saaru means a gravy / curry made of Field beans .
In Bangalore during the winter everywhere you can see these beans.We make so many dishes using them and infact during this season “avarekalu mela “too happens in Bangalore where a complete street is full of dishes made with Avarekalu. We have Avarekalu dosa,Avarekalu Idli,Avarekalu nippat,Avarekalu kodbale ,avarekalu upma etc . I have shared before in my blog Avarekalu mixture , avarekalu saaru , avarekalu saagu .. and today it’s Avrekalu usli . This curry i learnt from my mom who in turn from one of our neighbor aunty at Mysore . This Avarekalu usli used to be her favorite and during season she often used to make this along with ubbu rotti and parcel us too 🙂 … few neighbors are really sweet isn’t it ? Since then Avarekalu usli has been mine and my family favorite . You can make it like dry curry and eat as such or semi gravy types and serve as side dish . I make it semi gravy type .They taste really amazing with chapathi , ubbu rotti etc . Do give a try protein packed dish and enjoy ..
Check Out the Video recipe here :
AVAREKALU USLI RECIPE / AVAREKALU CURRY / FIELD BEANS CURRY
- 2 cup Avarekalu / Field Beans/ Surti Lilva
- 1 big size onion Chopped
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric / Haldi powder
- Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds / jeera seeds
- pinch of Hing /Asafoetida
- 2 broken Red Chilli
- Few Curry Leaves
To grind / masala
- 1/2 cup coconut Grated
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds / jeera seeds
- 3-4 Green Chillies
- handful Coriander leaves
- Take a pressure cooker and prepare the tempering . Add oil , mustard , cumin seeds . Once they splutter add hing , curry leaves and red chilli .
- Add chopped onion and saute for 2-3 mins . Add ginger garlic paste , turmeric powder and saute till onion turns translucent .
- Add avarekalu ( field beans ) and saute for 1-2 mins . Add salt to taste and around 1 cup of water . Pressure cook for 2 whistles .
- Meanwhile prepare masala for the avarekalu usli . To a mixer add Grated coconut , cumin seeds , handful of coriander leaves and green chilli . Add little water and make a smooth paste .
- Open the cooker once the the pressure releases from it and ground masala paste to it .
- Mix .. taste and if required add little water . Bring to boil .Finally squeeze lime and garnish with some more coriander leaves .
- Enjoy avarekalu usli with some hot ubbu rotti / chapathi .
- Avarekalu usli tastes best with fresh tender seeds .
- Don't skip hing , ginger garlic in this recipe as they help in reducing bloating effect caused by avarekalu .
- Number of whistles ,water qty , green chilli quantity might vary .
- Don't overcook the beans . That will make it mushy .