Bajra Kichdi Recipe | How to do Masala Bajra Kichdi | Bajre ki Kichdi | Pearl Millet Khichdi
Bajra Masala Khichdi is a tasty and healthy khichdi made with pearl millets , loaded with veggies and few spices. Served hot with a tsp of Ghee drizzled on top , with some papad on side and raita .. trust me this khichdi tastes so so good !!
Why is Bajra & Millets good for health ?
Pearl Millet / Sajje / Bajra / Kambu – is one of most widely grown variety of millet. It is widely used by the farming folk who need a lot of energy.They are little chewy, nutty in taste and little heat .
Loaded with lots of fibre , high protein and iron.
Bajra is an absolute weight watchers delight and diabetic friendly too. These days more and more people are getting health conscious and including millets in their diet. I have shared a couple of millets recipes here earlier .. today let’s see another great dish from millets … pearl millet.
So if you are trying to incorporate millets in your diet .. go ahead .It’s low on calories and high on nutrition. Easy to make and tasty to taste. Addition of veggies makes it colourful, more nutritious and yummier.
Few Things to note while making Bajra Khichdi :
- One can make Bajra Khichdi with whole grain or broken bajra (Dalia) . With whole grain , cooking time is more and you will have to soak it for longer duration( overnight or 6-7 hours) . Hence i always use Dalia/broken form . These days , you get Bajra dalia, easily in super market.
- It’s easy to make broken pearl millet at home , in case you don’t find ready made.Transfer the bajra to a mixer and coarsely grind using the pulse option. Let each grain break to 4-5 pieces.
- Addition of veggies is optional . But it makes the dish more wholesome and tasty. You can add which ever you have handy . I usually use beans , carrot, peas/ corn , knol khol (if available).
- Another twist you can give to this masala khichdi is by adding grated raw mango. Takes the whole dish to new level.
- You can use moong dal with skin or without.
Do try this easy One pot Bajra Masala Khichdi and enjoy ….
Bajra Masala Khichdi
- 1.5 cup Bajra Dalia / Pearl Millet Dalia
- 1/2 cup Moong Dal / split Green Gram
- 3-4 tsp Ghee / Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds / Jeera
- 1 no Bay leaf / Tej patta
- small piece Cinnamon/ dalchini
- 2-4 nos Cloves / Lavang
- 2-3 nos Cardamom/Elaichi
- big pinch Hing
- 1 big Onion, chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2-3 nos Green Chilli, slit
- 2 medium size Tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Haldi / Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 cup Mixed veggies ( Beans ,carrot,Peas/Corn,Knol khol ) , chopped
- 3-4 tbsp Raw Mango, Grated ( optional )
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak Bajra dalia for an hour.
- In a cooker , add ghee . Splutter Jeera. Add bay leaf ,cinnamon , cloves and Elaichi.
- Add hing, chopped Onion , ginger garlic paste and green chilli. Saute till raw smell goes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and little salt. Saute till tomatoes are little cooked and mushy.
- Add in haldi powder and chilli powder. Mix.
- In goes veggies and grated raw mangoes.As said, addition of raw mangoes is optional. But i would recommend using it , as it would add slight tang and makes so much difference in the taste.
- To the soaked bajra , add moong dal. Wash and drain the bajra and moong.
- Add the drained bajra and moong dal to the cooker. Saute for 1-2 mins.
- Add 6 cup water ( 1: 4 proportion ) i.e for 1.5 cup bajra dalia used 6 cup water.Add salt to taste.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles on medium flame .Let the cooker cool and the pressure release on it's own.
- Enjoy Creamy Bajra Masala Khichdi hot . And yes , don't forget to drizzle ghee on top while serving.