Banana Flower stir fry Recipe | How to do banana flower stir fry | Bale hoo palya recipe with step by step photo | Vazhai Poo Paruppu Usili Recipe | Banana flower Usili
Today i have for you all a very tasty and interesting recipe from Banana flower “ Banana flower Stir fry / Banana Flower Usili ”. It is a very healthy , proteinaceous and tasty dish which tastes amazing when paired with hot rice and ghee . Do try and relish this yummy side dish..
As many of you are aware .. almost all parts of the plantain plant from top to bottom – stem to fruit has wonderful uses and is consumed. The stem (Bale dindu ) and blossoms (Baale hoo / Poombey ) of the tree is used for consumption and has a lot of medicinal values. Many dishes are made from raw banana . The fruit – banana , as we all know is consumed all over the world . In South India, leaves of banana plant (Bale ele ) are used for serving food in many auspicious occasions and Hindu festivals . Its also used for wrapping food items and are used in cooking too . Yes there are certain dishes like kadubu . etc which are wrapped in banana leaves and cooked . Food cooked with banana leaves has a lot of special flavor. I recommend you to give a try. I am sure like this there are many other ways in which Banana plant is useful .
Recently i had been to native and was super excited to see organic home grown Banana flower in my relative’s backyard. After female banana flowers get pollinated, they form bananas . After banana’s are produced , male flower still remains at the tip of the bunch which is what used in cooking.It is loaded with fibre, anti-oxidants, iron, potassium, calcium, vitamins and all other minerals.In kannada it’s known as bale moothi or poombey . Though i get good banana flower always in Bangalore, nothing can beat organic and homegrown ones. While buying , always remember to pick that’s firm, fresh, tightly packed and bright purple in color . The cleaning part of the banana blossom is a little boring but the benefits that we get makes the time spent worth . We all know how fibre rich and nutritious banana flower is.Banana flowers are especially good for women as it keeps the uterus healthy. In my home , Banana flower chutney is given everyday to a new nursing mother as it increases milk supply and helps in healing the wounds quicker . Everyday for lunch i used to relish it with hot rice topped with fresh homemade ghee …
Here is a simple easy video that would help in cleaning banana flower easily …
Check Out the Video recipe here :
Let’s check now how to make this healthy and tasty bale hoovina Palya .. i have made it in Matodi palya style .. which tastes awesome with hot rice topped with ghee .
Check Out the Video recipe here :
BANANA FLOWER STIR FRY RECIPE / BAALE HOO PALYA / VAZHAI POO PARUPPU USILI
- 1 no Banana flower / Baale hoovu
- 1/4 cup coconut grated
- few drops of Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Chana Dal
- small piece Ginger
- 2-4 nos Green Chilli as per taste
- 1-2 nos Red Chilli
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2-3 tsp Oil
- 3/4 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp , 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1-2 pinch Asafoetida/ hing
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 no Red Chilli broken
- Wash fresh banana flower. Discard few outermost petals , which are very thick and little aged ( around 3-4 layers ).They will have slight bitterness . So better not to use . The white flowers , if they are grown , remove the stamen . The tender ones you can use as such . refer video to clean and chop
- Finely chop banana flower from tip and drop them in a bowl of water . Keep it so for 10 mins . Later discard water and chopped banana flower is ready to use . refer video to clean and chop
- Wash and soak chanadal for 2-3 hours.Once dal is soaked well, discard extra water.
- Grind chana dal along with ,ginger, red chilli , green chilli and salt to a coarse paste. Do not add any water.
- Transfer the coarse paste to a wide container.
- To the coarse bengal gram paste , add chopped Banana flower .Mix well.
- Prepare a steamer. Grease an Idli plate / Dhokla plate . Place banana flower + Chana dal mix into it .Steam cook for about 15 mins .
- Switch off. Allow it to cool .
- later crumble it and keep aside .
- In a non stick / heavy bottom pan take oil. Add mustard seeds,urad dal .One they splutter add haldi,hing ,curry leaves and broken red chilli pieces. saute for a min.
- Next add pre cooked banana flower chana dal mix. Mix well. Keep the flame on sim and stir in between . Continue the process for another 5-10 mins so that sabzi gets a nice roasted taste n appearance.
- Finally , Turn off the flame , add grated coconut and squeeze lemon. Mix well.
- Serve hot Banana Flower palya topped with ghee with steaming rice / chapathi / eat as such .
- While buying Banana Flower, always remember to pick that’s firm, fresh , tightly packed and bright purple in color .
- The same recipe you can follow to do beans / fenugreek leaves / cluster beans usili .