Banana Stem Raita | Bale dindu Mosaru Gojju
After all the festival indulgence .. I like to cook something quick, easy and healthy. This Banana Stem Raita fits the requirement perfectly. It is known as Baale dindina mosaru gojju in Kannada and Vazhaithandu Pachadi in tamil .
Banana stem is full of rich nutrients and fibre. It’s also a good remedy for kidney stones. Banana stem juice is taken early morning empty stomach helps in weight loss ( Just blend Banana stem chunks, sieve and add a pinch of salt and cumin powder ). It’s good to include Banana stem in our diet at least once in a month as it helps in detoxification . You can see its benefits in detail here
There are many dishes one can make from the banana stem-like sasime , banana stem palya , bhelpuri , salad etc .. to begin with, today I share one of the simplest dishes- how to do Banana stem raita .. over the time I will include few more. But whichever dish you want to make using Banana stem .. remember to always pick tender, fresh ones.
This dish is actually very quick to make . only cutting of banana stem takes time. Once that’s done .. making banana stem raita is just a whisk away. No need to cook banana stem ..Crunchy and cooling .. it tastes really good. Someone rightly said … healthy food need not be tasteless.
Few points to note while making Banana stem Raita :
- To avoid discolouration , keep the chopped stem immersed in water / diluted buttermilk water till use . If you want you can cut it the previous day & keep them immersed & refrigerate it .
- To make raita extra tasty , if you want you can grind coconut and chilli and it to curd . Gives nice texture and taste to the raita .
- If you want you can add chopped onion / tomatoes / both too .
- Chop banana stem as fine as possible as we are usung them uncooked. This way it will taste good .
BANANA STEM RAITA | BAALE DINDU MOSARU GOJJU | VAZHAITHANDU THAYIR PACHADI
- 1 cup Banana Stem / baale dindu, cut into small dices
- 1.5-2 cup curd, whisked
- few Coriander leaves, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tsp Oil / Coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Split urad dal
- 1 no Red Chilli, broken
- 2-3 nos Green Chillies, chopped
- few nos Curry Leaves
- Peel the outer layers of the stem till the time you are not able to peel any more. Discard the outer cover .
- Take the inner tender part of the stem separately .. retain the inner core .
- Next , start cutting the stems into horizontal discs . You will observe that thread like fibre starts sticking to the knife . Using your fingers discard the thread that comes in between the discs
- Now chop them finely and keep them soaked in diluted buttermilk water to avoid discolouration.
- Whisk salt and curd in a mixing bowl . To that add chopped banana stem . Drain it well before adding to curd else raita will be watery .
- Heat a kadai/pan with oil and temper with ingredients given under ' For tempering'. Once mustard splutters , saute green chilli and curry leaves for a min . Switch off
- Pour this tempering on raita . Add chopped coriander leaves . Mix everything well
- Healthy and tasty Banana stem Raita is ready .Enjoy it as a salad or with rice or phulka .