Basale soppu Thambli Recipe with step by step photos | How to do Basale Soppina thambuli | Udupi style Malabar spinach Thambuli Recipe |
Thambli is a very traditional Karnataka dish which our granny’s have been making from many years and I have grown up eating varieties of tambli prepared by my mom. Simple, yet the most comforting dish for summer. One can prepare thambli with anything and most of them take just 10 mins. For today, the chosen one is ” Basale soppu Tambli / Malabar Spinach Tambuli “. Made using Malabar spinach, coconut, chilli, yoghurt n few spices. They taste delicious with steamed rice or just sip as a cold soup !!
What is Tambli ??
Let me introduce you all to the humble dish ” Tambli “. Thambli is unique to the state of Karnataka especially Udupi – Mangalore & Malnad region. Tamblis are not spicy, greasy or heavy. Instead, they are lite, mild, medicinal and soothing. Tambuli is derived from Kannada word thampu. (ತಂಪು+ಹುಳಿ->ತಂಬುಳಿ). Thampu meaning cool/cold. So thambuli is a cooling and detox food. It’s a perfect summer food as it helps in keeping your body cool and aids digestion.It is served cold with hot rice and eaten right at the beginning in a typical Dakshin Kannada meal. Few drink them as coolants too.
Basically, Thambli is a thin yoghurt based curry made by grinding a herb/vegetable/greens/fruits/spices along with coconut and chillies and mixed with buttermilk and finally topped with a simple tempering. Few of them are not even cooked. They taste different depending on what it’s made out of. These are one of the easiest rice accompaniment that can be prepared in a jiffy.
We make various kinds of tambli in our home, this is something I grew up eating.. recipes passed from 1 generation to the other. I have never found tamblis in any of the restaurants. Publishing simple, easy,home-cooked vegetarian dishes serves the sole purpose of this blog.
Why is Basale Soppu Thambli healthy ??
Hero of the day for today’s tambli is Basale soppu / Malabar Spinach.
Quoted from Wikipedia – It is usually referred to as the “spinach”, even though it is not related to the true spinach. Typical of leaf vegetables, Malabar spinach is high in vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, and calcium. It is a rich source of soluble fiber and hence good for treating constipation. It is one of our local foods and consuming local food is always best .
I have a pot full of this plant in my balcony as growing them is very easy. Made a bowl full of these basale tambli yesterday and enjoyed for lunch. Do try it sometime. Here goes the easy, healthy & quick BASALE SOPPU THAMBLI recipe …
BASALE SOPPU THAMBLI RECIPE / MALABAR SPINACH THAMBULI
- 10 - 12 leaves Basale soppu / Malabar Spinach
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 6-8 nos Pepper
- 1-2 no Green Chilly ( usually they are made less spicy )
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1.5 cups sour curd /buttermilk
- to taste Salt
- 1-2 tsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Jeera / Cumin seeds
- 5-6 nos Curry leaves -few
- 1 no Red Chilli / Curd Chilli ( optional ) broken
- Clean, wash and roughly chop malabar spinach leaves.
- In a pan add few drops of ghee and roast jeera, pepper and green chilli. Fry for a minute.
- Add the malabar spinach leaves and sauté for 2-3 minutes or till the leaves turn soft and change their colour.
- Remove from the flame and keep aside to cool.
- Grind leaves -spice mix ,coconut and salt to a very smooth paste in a mixer by adding little water.
- Pour the mixture to a bowl and add buttermilk / curd .Mix well.Adjust the consistency as required. The consistency should be thin .
- Heat the remaining ghee in a small pan.Add mustard seeds and jeera ,when it splutters add curry leaves .Pour the tempering on the thambli .
- Serve basale soppina tambli in room temperature with hot steaming rice or relish as such as a drink.