Beetroot Chutney Recipe with step by step photos | How to do Beetroot Chutney | Beetroot Chutney for idli, dosa
Today i have for you all a colourful and healthy chutney and that’s ” Beetroot Chutney recipe ” This chutney is quick and easy to prepare and a nice change from the regular coconut/tomato chutney. A quick, colourful, easy and tasty chutney. One can relish this chutney for few days without getting bored of it with most of the South Indian breakfasts like Dosa, Idli and even with roti, chapati or even with plain hot rice. If you are wondering how a chutney from beetroot would be … I suggest you must try it. Temper it with little extra oil and give a boil … yummy.
This Beetroot Chutney is a great way to sneak in some healthy carrots too. I make beetroot chutney whenever I have small pcs of leftover veggie after making palya, halwa , Rasam etc . I follow my Carrot chutney recipe for this.
My kids love beetroot a lot. And I’m a happy mom to include them in their diet. If you are wondering how a chutney from beetroot would be … I suggest you must try it. Temper it with little extra oil and give a boil … yummy .. you can relish this chutney for few days without getting bored with hot plain rice or with anything. A perfect accompaniment to hot rice or dosas.
Few simple points to note while making this Beetroot Chutney are as follows :
- You can make this chutney with or without coconut.
- If you don’t like garlic in the tempering, you can flavour the chutney with little hing /onion/ginger.
- Don’t skip the final tempering ..takes the chutney to a whole new level.
- This chutney stays well even without fridge for 2-3 days.
- 1 medium size beetroot
- 1/2 - 1 small cup coconut grated (if you want you can omit coconut ; but pref at least few tbsps)
- 2 tsp Black Gram Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Bengal Gram Chana Dal
- 4 - 8 nos Red Chilli As per spice level
- grape size Tamarind (soaked)
- 1 tsp Coconut oil / cooking oil
- to taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- few Curry Leaves
- 4-5 Cloves Garlic cut to big pieces ** ref notes
- 1 - 2 tsps Coconut oil / cooking oil
- Peel beetroot and cut to big pieces. Pressure cook or microwave till the beetroot chunks are cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small pan. When the oil is hot, add urad dal, chana dal,hing & red chillies fry till dal turns golden. Turn off the heat, add coconut & let it cool completely.
- Transfer the fried masala, cooked beet, tamarind and salt to a mixer/blender. Grind to a smooth paste. but don't make super smooth. Taste test.
- Prepare the tempering. Heat oil in a small pan. When the oil is hot, add mustard, garlic and curry leaves. Fry it until garlic turns golden brown. Now add grounded chutney to this. Bring a boil by stirring in between.
- Serve beetroot chutney with hot rice/idli/dosa.