Belada Hannina Panaka | Belada hannina Juice with step by step photos | Bael fruit ka sharbath| Bael fruit juice | Wood Apple juice | Wood Apple Sharbath
Its scorching summer here !!! Heat and humidity are just increasing day by day. And as the mercury goes soaring, chilled drinks is what we just need. So today I have for you all a refreshing, tasty and very very healthy drink to beat the heat … ” Belada hannina Panaka / Wood Apple Juice / Bael ka Sharbat “.. a drink that sure would rekindle many nostalgic memories. This juice is very common during Ramanavami and Shivaratri . Slightly tang , sweetish and very aromatic .. this juice tastes really awesome .
Bael Fruit is known as wood apple or elephant apple in English and belada hannu in Kannada. They have a very hard shell like coconut and a soft pulp inside that is tangy, slightly sweetish and aromatic. It has many medicinal properties and good for health as per Ayurveda. One can make juice, chutney, murabba or eat as such too. The distinct aroma and flavour that this fruit has .. will leave a lingering taste for sure.
One very difficult part about this fruit is identifying if it’s still raw or ripe .. ready to use . From outside , the fruit looks almost same at both stage . Here are few ways that can help you identify if the fruit is ripe or not :
- lighter the fruit … riper it is.
- drop the fruit on the ground lightly .. if it doesn’t bounce means it is ripe. If it bounces then it is not ready.
- Smell the fruit .. if it has a light fragrance, means it’s getting ripe.
BELADA HANNINA PANAKA / WOOD APPLE JUICE / BAEL SHARBAT
- 1 no Wood apple / Bael fruit / belada hannu
- 4-6 tbsp Jaggery based on the tanginess of the fruit
- 1/2 tsp Pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- a pinch of Salt
- Water As required
- Break open the hard shell of wood apple using a stone or any hard object as we break coconut . Scoop the flesh of the fruit using a spoon. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add around 1 cup water and squeeze the fruit nicely .. just like we do for tamarind . Extract the juice .
- Strain the juice. Using a spoon mix, tap and strain to seperate the fruit residue ( fiboury pulp and seeds ) . Transfer the residue again to a bowl , add 1 cup water and squesse to extract some more fruit content . Strain the juice. Repeat this step 2-3 times to extract maximum juice and fruit content.
- Discard the residue after extracting almost full juice .
- Now to wood apple juice, add jaggery and pepper powder, mix it well. Let the jaggery dissolve
- Lastly add cardamom powder .. mix .
- Enjoy belada hannina panaka as such or refrigerate and relish it chilled .