Bendekayi Palya recipe with step by step photos | How to do Bendekayi Palya | Okra Stir Fry
Bendekayi Palya / Ladies finger Fry Recipe with step by step photos. This is a simple, easy and tasty recipe of ladies finger stir fry made in South Indian style. Enjoy it with rice or chapathi .. makes a great side dish .
There are so many ways I make Bendekayi palya at home , be it kayi sasive masala , jeera pepper masala , plain tempering , with onion , without onion etc and this is one of them. This is homely style , with very basic masalas and ingredients that one can easily find in their pantry. Enjoy it with curd rice / rasam rice etc .
Okra is one of those vegetables that you either love or hate. Thankfully in my home we all love this veggie. So any dish made out of okra gets vanished in no time. I find it surprising when i meet someone who says they hate okra. I have shared many side dish recipes from bhindi as of now like Bhindi Masala , bhindi kadhi, bhindi besanwali , Bharwan bhindi, bhindi do pyaza, bendekayi gojju and today it’s time for Bhindi stir fry.
Few Points to Note While making Bendekayi Palya :
- Use fresh , tender bhindi only . Over ripe bhindi will be fibrous and won’t taste good.
- Roast Bhindi nicely till its non sticky and dry.
- Adding onions is purely optional. I do it many a times without it .
- Adding little sugar while roasting bhindi helps in retaining green color .
- Add little lemon juice while roasting bhindi to prevent sliminess. Instead of lemon you can use citric acid crystals ( nimbue ke phool / nimbu uppu ) . You can also use tamarind pulp .
- Add salt towards end only.
How to Make Bhindi Less Slimy :
Many hate bhindi because of its sliminess. These are some of the things that you can do to reduce the stickiness .
- Wash and spread bhindi nicely on paper towel / cloth for some time before chopping. Let they get dry . If there is water, end result will be slimy.Moisture is what adds to the sliminess . If you have time , it’s better to keep them spread on paper for few hours.
- Never cover and cook bhindi. Moisture that gets trapped makes it slimy .
- Add some souring ingredient like tamarind / aamchoor / lime / tomatoes etc while cooking. This reduces slimyness.
- Add salt only towards ends . This prevents in bhindi sweating moisture.
- Roast bhindi nicely in oil initially on medium flame to prevent sliminess .This makes bhindi more flavorful.
Do try and enjoy .. here you go !!
Bendekayi Palya / ladies Finger Stir Fry
- 500 gm Bhindi / ladys finger / Bendekayi, chopped ( optional )
- 1 medium size Onion, chopped
- 2 medium size Tomato , Chopped
- 1 tsp Rasam Powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- 1/2 tsp Sugar, ( to maintain the color)
- 1/2 -1 tsp Jaggery, (optional)
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- 2-3 tbsp Grated coconut , (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Chana dal / bengal gram
- a pinch Hing / asafoetida
- few Curry leaves
- Wash, pat dry and chop the ladies fingers into medium small roundels as shown in pic.
- In a kadai , heat a tbsp oil . Add chopped ladies finger and sugar . Keep the flame medium and saute . After 3- 4 mins , you will see that bhindi starts becoming slimy and starts sticking to the pan . Squeeze lime and turn the flame to medium high. Saute for another 3-4 mins or till bhindi becomes non-sticky and dry.
- Once bhindi is sauted well , non sticky , keep them aside to use later.
- In an other pan , prepare tempering . Heat oil . Splutter mustard seeds , urad dal and channa dal . Add hing and curry leaves .
- Add chopped onions ( if you are using ) and saute 2-3 mins. Let they be translucent.
- Add tomatoes and salt . Saute for 2-3 mins till they turn little mushy.
- Once tomatoes are little mushy , add chilli powder , rasam powder and haldi. Mix. Add little jaggey too if you like.
- Now add sauteed Bhindi and Combine everything nicely.
- Close the pan with lid and cook for another 2-3 mins so that bhindi takes in all the flavors. Toss in between to avoid charring.
- That's it bhindi palya is almost ready . If you want add grated coconut and give a mix. Check if all the moisture from stir fry has evaporated.
- Enjoy Bendekayi palya with Roti , Dal , rasam , curd rice etc