Hi Friends ,
Its ” Gujarati Bhinda Ni Kadhi ” for you all today. People from other regions can relate to it as “Bhindi Kadhi / cousin of Bendekayi Majjigehuli / Yoghurt Stew With Okra“. Though we all like variety of food ..love eating in restaurants…end of the day if you ask anyone,nothing can beat simple home cooked food. This bhindi kadhi represents comfort food for many. Its simple n humble ,its spicy n tangy n above all its so yummy..
Bhindi kadhi is basically roasted ladies finger boiled in a tempered flavored yoghurt gravy.Unlike other kadhis its little thick .. thanks to ladies finger.If you are bored of eating plain normal kadhi and looking for a change… then you must try this one… here we go…
- 8 to 10 large bhindi / ladys finger
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Gram Flour Besan
- 2 cup sour curd /buttermilk
- 1 tsp Carom seeds /Ajwain / oma
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Haldi
- to taste Salt
- Sugar, ( optional )
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Jeera
- or 2 a pinch Asafoetida/ hing
- 1/2 tsp Ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 2 - 3 Green Chilli, finely chopped or grated
- a few Curry Leaves
- 2-3 tsp Oil
- Wash,pat dry ,remove the stalk and cut okra to small bite size pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan. Once hot add okra, sprinkle some salt and saute in between till its cooked. Cook uncovered.
- Once okra is cooked,remove it to plate and keep aside.
- Meanwhile ,when okra is cooking, take yogurt in a bowl,add besan. Whisk nicely such that there are no lumps .
- To the whisked besan add carom seeds,red chilli powder,salt and water.
- In a kadai, prepare the tempering.Take oil,add mustard seeds.Once they splutter add jeera,hing,curry leaves and green chilles. Saute for 1-2 mins.
- Lower the heat, add yogurt and besan mixture. Swirl in between so that yoghurt should not curdle.
- Let it come to a boil.As it boils you will notice that its thickening.So add some more water and adjust the consistency. It has to be watery initially coz wen u add okra it will again thicken.
- Mix in okra and boil for another 2- 3 mins.
- Switch off. Allow it to sit for 5-10 mins. Bhindi kadhi is ready to serve. Relish it with plain steamed rice / Khichdi / roti .
- You can use curd / buttermilk. But they must be sour. Else it won't taste nice.I normally do it with buttermilk only when i have left over stock to clear off.
- Before adding okra,consistency of kadhi must be thin. After adding okra it will again thicken.
- If you want you can add garlic/methi seeds/ slightly crushed cinnamon,cardamom etc.