Hmm… life was very hectic last week . Festivals and other stuff forcefully kept me away from blog for more than a week Back today with yet another Karnataka special dish which is not a very common dish . They are “ Bili Holige / Stuffed Rice flour Paratha ” . Bili holige or stuffed rice flour paratha is a type of flatbread prepared by stuffing rice flour dough in side maida dough. One can relish it with any spicy gravy .
Bili in kannada means white and holige is pooran poli . Unlike traditional pooran polis , these bili holiges are not sweet ones but savory variety . The outer cover is typically made of maida hence the name white colored and the filling is made from rice flour and later rolled like normal paratha. So for better understatement , one can call it as Rice flour stuffed paratha .
Hot hot soft soft bili holige served with ennegai palya or any other spicy curry or chutney … taste just awesome. Yes a bit time consuming to make , but the end result is worth it .
Few points to note while making Bili Holige :
- Instead of maida , you can make the outer covering all wheat flour or use 1 cup maida n 1 cup wheat flour.
- Knead the rice flour stuffing when it is hot / warm only . If you knead after it cools , you will not be able to make a smooth lumpless dough .
- Since we are kneading the dough when its hot only , it would be difficult for us to handle the dough bear hands. Thats why we are putting it in polythene cover and knead later .
- If you want you can flavour up the stuffing by adding green chilly + ginger / Palak puree / Methi leaves / coriander leaves etc
Do give a try for your weekend breakfast or lunch and you will surely agree with me… Tummy full dil bhi khush….
- 1 Cup Rice flour
- 1 3/4 Cups Water, depends on the rice flour quality
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds /Jeera
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Cups All purpose flour /maida
- around 1/2 cup Water
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2-4 tsp Oil
Make outer covering :
- Take a wide vessel . Add maida , salt and oil .
- Prepare a dough adding required amount of water . Dough should be not too soft or stiff . Should be like chapathi dough . Keep it covered in a damp cloth for 30 minutes
Make Stuffing :
- Take a wide pan / kadai . Heat 1 3/4 cup of water.
- Once it starts to boil add cumin seeds,oil and salt.
- Keep on sim and slowly add rice flour and keep stirring constantly using a wooden spatula .
- Flour will combine to form a lump and switch off the flame.
- When the dough is still warm , transfer it into a clean polythene cover . refer note no 4
- Knead it nicely to form a very smooth lumpless dough . Stuffing of bili holige is ready .
- Divide stuffing and and outer covering to orangesized balls .
- Stuff the rice flour stuffing in prepared maida outer dough as shown in picture.
- this is how it will look
- Dust some wheat/maida flour and roll them with a rolling pin as thin as possible .
- Heat tawa/griddle , Put rolled paratha on hot tawa,.
- Once it puffs up drizzle few drops of oil on corners and flip it and cook on other side till done.
- Serve hot bili holige with stuffed brinjal / stuffed ridge gourd / veg .kurma / choice of gravy or chutney .