CABBAGE PATHRODE RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTOS | PATHRODE PALYA RECIPE | HOW TO DO CABBAGE PATHRODE | PATHRODE RECIPE
Today I have for you all one very traditional dish from Udupi known as ” Cabbage Pathrode / Pathrode Palya”. This dish is easy to make, super tasty to taste with a perfect blend of spiciness, tanginess, sweetish and bursting with flavours. One can enjoy it as a side dish along with dal / rasam or relish as such for breakfast or as a snack.
I love Pathrode. Traditionally, they are made using colocasia leaves / kesuvina ele. The leaves are smeared with a spicy, tangy masala paste and stacked upon each other. They are then steam cooked.
Making this regular version of Pathrode is very time consuming and needs lots of patience. But today’s version of making Pathrode Palya is very easy when compared to the regular version and end result is delicious too. In this dish, shredded veggies/leaves are mixed with an entire batter made with coarsely ground rice, aromatic masala paste and are steamed like idli. The steamed version is later crumbled and tossed in a tempering. As guessed, this traditional recipe is passed to me by my mom. Publishing simple, easy, home-cooked healthy dishes serves the sole purpose of this blog.
One can relish Cabbage Pathrode palya as such like upma for breakfast or make it spicier and relish as a side dish along with rasam rice/dal rice/curd rice. Either way, it’s yum. Don’t skip coconut oil and coconut for that authentic coastal Karnataka taste.
One can make Cabbage pathrode Palya / spring onion pathrode Palya, fenugreek leaves pathrode Palya, palak pathrode Palya, drumstick leaves pathrode palya etc. Each veg/greens added, gives a distinct taste and flavour to the dish. Do try and let me know which version you liked 🙂
Few points to note while making Cabbage Pathrode :
- If you don’t have rice rava, you can make it at home like this: Soak raw rice for 1hr. Drain water completely. Spread it on a cloth or paper towel for about 10 mins, so that the grains become dry. Grind the rice in a mixer to a coarse consistency.Homemade rice rava is ready.
- Instead of cabbage, you can use methi leaves / chopped patra / drumstick leaves .
- One can alter spice levels based on your preference. .. be it chilli, salt, tamarind and jaggery.
- Don’t skip coconut oil and coconut for that authentic coastal Karnataka taste
PATHRODE PALYA RECIPE / CABBAGE PATHRODE / PATHRODE
- 1 cup Raw Rice / Rice Rava
- 2 cups Cabbage, Finely chopped
- 1 medium size onion, Finely chopped ( Optional )
- 2-3 tbsp coconut, Grated
To grind ( Masala )
- 3 tsp Dhania/ Coriander seeds
- 1.5 tsp Jeera / Cumin seeds
- 3-4 tbsp coconut
- 4-5 nos Red Chilli
- small piece Tamarind
- small piece Jaggery
- 1/2 tsp Haldi/ turmeric
- a pinch of Hing /Asafetida
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tsp Coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Channa dal
- 1-2 nos Red Chillies, broken to pieces
- few Curry Leaves
- pinch Hing /Asafoetida
- Finely chopped cabbage and onion .. keep aside.
- Transfer all the ingredients mentioned under " to grind - masala " into a mixer. Add little water and make a smooth paste. The masala should be little stronger in taste .. after mixing with rice it will be good.
- Transfer ground masala paste, chopped cabbage and rice Rava into a mixing bowl. instead of cabbage can use methi leaves, drumstick leaves chopped patra leaves.
- Mix all the ingredients nicely. Add around 1-1.5 cup water mix. Keep aside for 10-15 mins. If in hurry, can skip soaking time.
- Take a steamer. Grease idli plate with little oil and place the batter in each idli plate.
- Steam for 10 - 15 mins and allow pathrode to cool down. Unmould from idli plate. You can enjoy Cabbage Pathrode as such with ghee or coconut oil or butter or curd. Since it has all the spices, no side dish is required.
- To make Cabbage Pathrode more tasty .. proceed to make this tempering. Take a pan / kadai. Temper Mustard, urad dal, channa dal, red chillies, curry leaves and hing in coconut oil. Use coconut oil for authentic taste. When mustard seeds splutter, add chopped onions and saute for 2-3 mins.
- Crumble cabbage pathrode and add it to tadka . Mix and saute it on low flame for 4-5 mins.
- Lastly add grated coconut .
- Enjoy Cabbage Pathrode as such or with a bowl or chilled curd or as a side dish with dal / rasam rice .