Carrot Chutney Recipe | How to make Carrot Chutney | Carrot Chutney recipe with step by step photos | Carrot Chutney for idli, dosa
Today I have for you all a colourful and healthy chutney and that’s ” Carrot Chutney “. This chutney is quick and easy to prepare and a nice change from the regular coconut/tomato chutney. One can relish this chutney for few days without getting bored of it with most of the South Indian breakfasts like Dosa, Idli and even with roti, chapati or even with plain hot rice. If you are wondering how a chutney from carrot would be … I suggest you must try it. Temper it with little extra oil and give a boil … yummy.
This Carrot Chutney is a great way to sneak in some healthy carrots too. I make carrot chutney whenever I have lots of carrots. I follow my Beetroot chutney recipe for this.
Few simple points to note while making this Carrot Chutney are as follows :
- You can make this chutney with or without coconut.
- If you don’t like hing, you can flavour the chutney with little onion/ginger/garlic. Add a few pieces of it while roasting masala. Fry well and grind.
- don’t use too old and fibrous Carrot .. the chutney won’t taste good.
- Don’t skip the final tempering ..takes the chutney to a whole new level.
Do try this chutney for sure …U will enjoy its taste and goodness of carrot.. here goes the recipe of healthy side dish ” Carrot Chutney “
Check Out the Video recipe here :
- 2-3 medium size carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 small cup coconut, (if you want you can omit coconut ; but pref at least few tbsps)
- 2 tsp Black Gram Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Bengal Gram Chana Dal
- a pinch Hing
- 4 - 8 Red Chillies, - As per spice level
- small size Tamarind, (soaked)
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil / Any oil
- to taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- Curry Leaves
- 1 - 2 tsps Coconut Oil / Any oil
- Dice carrot. Add a cup of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Once pressure is released, check if the carrot is cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small pan. When oil is hot, add urad dal, chana dal , few curry leaves,hing & red chillies. On low medium flame, fry till dal turns golden. Turn off the heat, add coconut & let it cool completely.
- Transfer the fried masala,tamarind and salt to a mixer/blender. Grind to a paste. Add cooked carrots. Blend smooth but don't make super smooth. Taste test.
- Prepare the tempering. Heat oil in a small pan. When oil is hot, add mustard and curry leaves. Now add ground chutney to this. Bring a boil by stirring in between.
- Serve carrot chutney with hot rice / idli / dosa / chapati etc . Stays good for 3-4 days in fridge .