One evening, me and my hubby had been out for a shopping in Jayanagar ( Bangalore) .There we noticed a small sandwich joint ” Hari’s Super Sandwich ” ,which was fully crowded .We decided to give a try , as we had never tasted there before.We were surprised to see their long list of indianised sandwiches such as chilli cheese toast, vegetable cheese toast,bread chat ,dahi toast, cheese gulkand sandwich,chocolate toast to name a few. We tasted few of them and all were yum and easy to prepare.Their bread is toasted on the typical home styled tava as opposed to fancy grills.
The Sandwich i have chosen today from their menu list is ” Chilli Cheese sandwich”. We had this sandwich for the first time there and it was an instant hit.Now whenever bread /cheese enters my kitchen, my hubby reminds me of this toast. And i’m so happy to prepare this.Guess Why ….? ?
It is easy to make, doesn’t call for any preparation time,and end result would sure shot turn yummy. Even beginners can make it without being hassled.Chilli cheese sandwich is stuffed with oodles of cheese and green chillies and toasted and nothing beats these, this on a rainy day with a cup of hot tea /soup.The spiciness in the chillies is compensated by the cheese……
I know you are telling, enough of your babbling, give me the recipe…So here’s the recipe straight from ” Hari’s Super Sandwich ” :
CHILLI CHEESE SANDWICH
- 4 Nos bread, Slices
- 2 Nos cheese, Slices
- 2 - 3 nos Green Chillies, Finely chopped (depends on your spice level)
- 1/4 tsp Salt /Chaat masala /Oregano / any other spice pwd ), Seasoning
- Butter for greasing/oil
- Take a slice of bread and place the cheese slices on it.
- Sprinkle the finely chopped green chillies on the cheese slices .
- Now sprinkle just a little seasoning or just the salt if you like to have plain . (In the original version only salt was there)
- Close it with another plain slice of bread .
- Place it on a greased tava or in a greased sandwich toaster .Cook using little butter/oil , till it turns brown and crisp on both the sides.If doing on tava , keep on low flame to get crisp toast.I toasted it on the tava just to match with the original taste.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce...
- You can add chopped onions and capsicum/sweetcorn along with cheese and green chillies.
- You can serve them as open faced sandwich(only the slice of bread with topping) too .They make a great party starters.