” Chinese Potato Stir Fry ” – an easy tasty fry which is loved by everybody in my family. It goes well with all Rasam varieties, curd rice etc It is spicy ,crispy on the outside, extremely simple to make but end result is super delicious . There is no special ingredient required to make this tasty Chinese potato stir fry ..
Chinese potatoes are available only 2-3 months in a year during winter and used commonly in Kerala and coastal Karnataka.It looks similar to baby potatoes but the earthy aroma of these potatoes are simply awesome. They are commonly called as koorka or kooka or sambrani gadde in Kannada and are less known veggie .My grand mom used to put these Chinese potatoes into a jute sack and beat it on the floor till the skin peels off and with a knife and used to scrape off the remaining skin. This method takes more time to clean and really tests ones patience . Now we have a shortcut method 🙂 ..cook and peel just like we do for potatoes and de skinned Chinese potatoes are ready to use for dishes . People who have tasted it definitely love these tiny tubers.Chinese potatoes tastes good even with very less seasoning. I usually make it as roast, sometimes make Majige huli (yoghurt curry / mor kuzhambu) . Everything tastes great. Today let me share step by step recipe of my family favorite Chinese Potato stir fry recipe .. do try and enjoy with Rasam/dal / curd rice ..
CHINESE POTATO INDIAN STIR FRY RECIPE / SAMBRANI GADDE ( KOORKA ) PALYA
- 1/4 kg Chinese potato or sambrani
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- a big pinch of Turmeric powder
- Salt as per your taste
- 2-3 tbsp Oil / coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- a big pinch of Asafoetida/ hing
- few Curry Leaves
- 1-2 Red Chilli, broken
- Wash and pressure cook the Chinese potatoes till soft by adding required water. Once they are cooked, peel and slice them into thick slices . If they are very small , you can use as such also .
- Heat oil in a thick kadai .Splutter mustard, add urad dal, hing, broken red chilli and curry leaves .
- Next take red chili powder, hing, salt, turmeric powder into kadai and give a quick mix .
- Next add in cooked and sliced into Chinese potatoes into the spices .
- Give a quick mix and make sure that the slices are coated well with the spice paste.Keep in low flame for 5 more minutes stirring occasionally until its crisp and cooked well on a low medium flame
- Enjoy Chinese potato stir fry
- Never over cook the chinese potato , just parboil it .
- If you want can add some onions , garlic etc while roasting
- Adjust the spice levels accordingly