Many people love Halwa but don’t make it at home as they feel its very difficult, time consuming and are doubtful about the end result. I too was sailing in the boat in the initial years of marriage and still find it tough making few halwas. Today i have for you all one great easy peasy Halwa that so delicious,easy n quickie to make,beginner’s delight and the end result is just awesome.. jelly like texture with crunchiness of nuts in between. I’m speaking of “Corn Flour Halwa” , popularly known as ” Karachi Halwa / Bombay Halwa / Sohan Halwa “. I’m sure most of you have seen or relished this halwa at sweet shops.This halwa is common in Diwali sweet gift boxes.
I had made these cornflour halwa last diwali and gave a few to my relatives also. Everyone loved it a lot and have been asking for recipe since then. The best part of this halwa is ..it doesn’t call for more ghee and making it takes max just 15-20 mins max… Don’t you agree with me ??? …I know you will once you try….Here goes the recipe…
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups Sugar
- 1 cup + 1 and 1/2 cups Water
- 2 - 3 tbsp Ghee
- 1/4 cups Cashew nuts chopped finely
- pinch Cardamom powder
- Take cornflour in a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 and 1/2 cups of water and food color .Then whisk it well to avoid lumps .Keep aside.
- Add about 1 tbsp of ghee in a wide thick pan or kadai. Roast nuts.When they are golden brown in color,remove and keep aside.
- In the same kadai, take sugar and add 1 cup of water.Keep the flame on medium and let the sugar dissolve .
- Let the sugar syrup boil and become slightly thick. Sugar string consistency is not important here but make sure the syrup is sticky.
- Add the cornflour mixture to the sugar syrup,stir continuously to avoid lumps while adding.Keep stirring in low flame.
- After sometime you will observe that the mixure will start thickening and becoming glossy.Add ghee and mix well.Keep stirring.
- Once the mixture starts leaving the surface and becomes a single lump , its done. Add cashew nuts and cardamom powder.Give a mix.
- Transfer to the greased plate .Using a spatula spread it evenly to get desired thickness. smoothen the surface using the base of a greased cup.
- Allow it to set for atleast an hour then cut into squares.
- Enjoy cornflour halwa warm / normal temperature / col.Stays fresh for 4-5 days if refrigerated.
- You can use any food color of your choice orange,yellow,green etc.
- you can either do with cornflour/ flavored / mix both . i have mixed little custard powder in the above as i had to empty off my custard powder stock.
- You can flavor it with some essence too.