CURD RICE RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTOS | HOW TO DO MOSARANNA | THAYIR SADAM RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTOS
Curd Rice is one most staple dish from South India which is often an essential part of any South Indian meal. Made from pre-cooked rice, curd and tempering .. this humble dish tastes absolute yumm. Known as Mosaranna in Karnataka and Thayir Sadam in Tamil. Pair it with some pickle/potato roast / any side dish .. a bowlful of comfort meal is ready to sooth your soul. Light on tummy and great on
Though we all like a variety of food ..love eating in restaurants…end of the day if you ask anyone, nothing can beat comfort food. Curd Rice represents comfort food, summer special food. Its simple n humble, creamy n light on tummy .. so yummy.
Making of curd rice is very easy. Actually so easy that i had never thought I would be posting one curd rice recipe with step by step photos here. But since I got couple of requests, here it is … after all this space is to help you all.
There’s no hard and fast rule to make curd rice . One can make simple plain or add some tempering to make it more flavorful. Add few toppings too like grated carrot / raw onion/ raw cucumber/pomegranate/ grapes etc to make it more tasty and colourful. In South India, curd rice is offered as prasadam too in few devi temples .. but usually, those type of curd rice is made plain yet lie many prasadam.. this tastes delicious. Different homes have their own different ways to make creamy curd rice and this is one such easy way . Do try and enjoy …
CURD RICE RECIPE | MOSARANNA RECIPE | THAYIR SADAM RECIPE
- 1 cup Cooked Rice
- 2 cup curd
- few tsp carrot grated
- few Pomogranete seeds (optional)
- Coriander leaves Chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1/4 tsp Channa dal
- 1-2 nos Green Chilli slit / finey chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger , grated
- few Cashews broken optional
- few Curry Leaves
- Wash 1 cup rice and pressure cook until very soft for 3 whistles. Allow the pressure to release.
- When rice is still hot .. mash it little using a masher or back of a spoon or using your hands.
- Once the rice has cooled completely, add in curd, milk(optional) and salt. Mix to combine. After mixing, if required add more curd based on your preferred consistency.
- Prepare a tempering. Heat 1-2 tsp oil. Add mustard urad dal and channa dal. Once they splutter, add broken cashews, grated ginger, chilli and curry leaves. Saute 1-2 mins.
- To the plain curd rice add in chopped coriander leaves, grated carrot, pomegranate and tempering. Mix well.
- Serve Curd Rice with pickle, aloo fry, papad, south Indian stir fry etc.
- Make sure rice is well cooked and grains are mashed a bit to get creamy teaxture.
- Do not add curd to hot rice as it may curdle.
- If you have to pack curd rice and carry for lunch box/travel.. don't add curd more curd. It will get sour in a while. Instead, it's better to make curd rice by adding 75 % lukewarm milk and 25 % curd to the mashed rice ...based on after how many hours you plan to consume it. When you are ready to eat , curd would have set properly and wouldn't be sour. Vary proportion of milk: curd based on summer/winter.
- You can add chopped raw onion / chopped cucumber / fresh grapes / raisins .
- To the tempering can add a pinch of hing / broken red chilli / sun-dried chilli ( sandige menasu ) / little cumin seeds ( jeera) .
- You can skip all