Dill leaves dal recipe with step by step photos | How to make Dill leaves Dal | Sabsige Soppu Dal | Shepu Dal with step by step photos
Today I have for you all simple, healthy and very nutritious ” Dill leaves Dal recipe/ Sabsige soppu dal recipe ”. The combination of dill leaves, dal tastes and smells just wonderful. Its simple, quick, healthy, nutritious and of course lip-smacking !!
Dill leaves are known as sabsige soppu in Kannada, shepu or Suva bhaji in Hindi. Dill leaves is very healthy and very aromatic. But the flavour of dill leaves reduces the longer it is cooked. So to retain its full flavour and aroma, don’t overcook it. Dal made from fresh dill leaves are so aromatic that you’re neighbour will surely know what’s cooking in your kitchen.
In Karnataka, dill leaves stir fry (without tuvar dal ) is one of the most common dishes served to a new mom as it’s known to aid lactation. When I too was in that phase, almost daily I was served this sabzi along with pepper rasam and other dishes and not even 1 day I got bored eating it .. just enjoyed every bit if it … the aroma when fresh dill leaves are getting cooked itself is so tempting… Hmm….
Enjoy this simple home-cooked food, Dill leaves dal with some steaming hot rice, little ghee and some papad … a comforting meal is ready !!
DILL LEAVES DAL RECIPE / SABSIGE SOPPU DAL / SHEPU DAL
- 1 cup Dill leaves / Sabsige Soppu
- 1/2 cup Green gram / split moong dal
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder /Haldi
- 3-4 nos Green Chilli, slit
- 1-2 tbsp Ghee / Oil / Ghee + Oil mix
- 3-4 flakes Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds / jeera seeds
- 1/4 tsp Hing /Asafoetida
- 1 no Red Chilli, Broken
- few Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Clean, wash and finely chop dill leaves finely.
- Wash and pressure cook Moong dal for 3-4 whistles along with Haldi and adequate water. Mash nicely and keep aside.
- In a pan / Kadai heat ghee / oil / ghee + oil mix. Add crushed/chopped garlic, curry leaves. Saute till garlic is golden.
- Add finely chopped dill leaves, slit green chilli to the Kadai and saute 2-3 mins.
- Add cooked mashed dal to the sauteed dill leaves.
- Add salt, water as required. Mix. Simmer and cook for 6-7 mins so that greens get cooked and dal gets blended.
- Lastly, add lemon juice to cooked dal. Switch off. Prepare a tadka ( tempering ) by spluttering mustard, jeera, curry leaves and hing in ghee.
- Heat ghee in a small pan. When the ghee is hot, splutter mustard & jeera. Later add hing and broken dry red chillies. Switch off and immediately pour the ghee tadka over the cooked dal.
- Enjoy this simple dill leaves dal with hot rice drizzled with ghee on top and some papad … a comforting meal is ready !!
- Dill has a strong flavour and hence if you don't like to reduce the quantity. Based on your liking you can increase or reduce the quantity.
- One can use either Tuvar Dal or Moong Dal.
- We can make Dill dal without adding garlic too.
- Along with Dill leaves, one can add other types of green too.
- Greens get cooked very quickly so I don't pressure cook it.