Remember my yesterday’s post of bassaru / Dill leaves rasam where I had shared just half the recipe of it and had kept aside greens and dal mix to use later? So as promised, today I am back with part 2 of it – using the greens and dal mix in making ” Dill Leaves Stir Fry / Sabbasige Soppu Palya / Suva Sabzi “. The combination of dill leaves, dal tastes and smells just wonderful. Its simple, quick, healthy, nutritious and of course lip-smacking !!
In Karnataka, dill leaves stir fry (without tuvar dal ) is one of the most common dishes served to a new mom as it’s known to aid lactation. When I too was in that phase, almost daily I was served this sabzi along with pepper rasam and other dishes and not even 1 day I got bored eating it .. just enjoyed every bite if it … the aroma when fresh dill leaves are getting cooked itself is so tempting… Hmm…
I’ve split the recipe into 2 parts so that the post doesn’t become too long .. Yesterday I have shared Dill leaves rasam ( bassaru recipe ) and today palya recipe ( The separated dal and dill mix ). Here we go… Without much talks, let’s get started with this easy recipe…
DILL LEAVES STIR FRY
- 2 cup Dill leaves( sabsige Soppu ) Seperated dill leaves and dal mix
- 2 - 4 tsps Ghee /coconut oil/oil
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Split Black gram/ Urad dal
- 4 - 6 flakes Garlic
- 1 - 2 Red Chilli broken
- 1 - 2 Green Chilli stilted
- few Curry Leaves
- little grated coconut
- Take a Kadai. Add oil, mustard seeds, urad dal and garlic.
- When mustard splutters , add curry leaves,broken red chilli and green chilli . Saute for 1-2 mins.
- Add dill leaves and dal mix that we have kept aside. Add salt and mix well . Allow the extra water to evaporate if any.If you are doing from scratch refer to note 1
- Finally, add grated coconut. Mix.
- Serve hot dill leaves stir fry with rice or roti. Isn't it one healthy south Indian thali.. bassaru, soppu paya...simple home-cooked food can indeed give lots of pleasure and good health.
- If you are doing just the dill leaves stir fry from the scratch using: Dill leaves / sabsige soppu - 2 big bunch and Tuvar dal - 1/ 4 cup
- If you are doing just the stir fry from scratch, add chopped dill leaves to the tempering. Saute for 2-3 mins, add little water, close and cook. Once the greens are 75 % cooked, add cooked dal, salt and mix well. Finally, add grated coconut.
- When doing from scratch, the addition of tuvar dal is optional but recommended. It gives a nice volume and taste.
- Adding garlic is optional. If you are a lactating or expecting mom, dill leaves and garlic combo is very much recommended.
- If making for new lactating mom, avoid using dal as it may cause gas in newborn babies.
- Be careful while adding salt. it doesn't take much.