Today I have for you all an easy peasy flavorful ” Doddapatre Rasam / Ajwain Leaves Rasam ” a great dish to tickle your taste buds and an excellent home remedy for indigestion vows / common cold. Relish piping hot Doddapatre rasam with hot rice or sip it as a soup in a glass …whichever way you opt..you’l surely enjoy this flavorful refreshing rasam ..With no dal, no coconut and no rasam powder.. this simple and healthy doddapatre rasam recipe taste just awesome !!
Doddapatre / Sambarballi soppu is a plant with many medicinal properties. It’s known as Ajwain (Hindi), Ova (Marathi), Panikoorka (Malayalam), Karpuravalli (Tamil), Vamu aaku ( Telugu ) in various languages. This small herb is used as a home remedy for cold and cough, asthma, for indigestion, acidity etc. The leaves are soft, thick, has a strong pungent flavour. I have a pot full of this plant in my balcony as growing them is very easy. Other than using these leaves for medicinal benefits, I also use them to make tea, thambli, chutney, bajji and today this rasam.
Will surely share all the recipes here but for today its ” Ajwain leaf Rasam”. Hot rice and rasam is a great combination. Do try it sometime. For variation, instead of hing can add a few garlic pieces. To make it more flavorful, you can skip coriander leaves and use chopped ajwain leaves instead.
Here goes the easy, healthy & quick recipe …
DODDAPATRE RASAM / SAMBARBALLI RASAM / KARPOORAVALLI ( OMAVALLI ) RASAM
- 10 - 15 nos Dodda Patre / Karpooravalli leaves/ Ajwain leaf
- 1-2 small tomato
- 1-2 nos Green Chilli, slit
- small marble sized Tamarind, soaked
- small marble sized Jaggery
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder /Haldi
- few Coriander leaves, chopped
- few Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
To Roast and Powder ( Masala )
- 1.5 tbsp Toor Dal / split pigeon pea
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds Dhania
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2-5 nos Red chilies, ( depending on your pref )
- 1-2 tsp Oil/ Ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- a big pinch of Hing /Asafetida
- few Curry Leaves
- Clean , wash and roughly chop ajwain leaves .
- Blanch tomatoes in hot water for few minutes . Keep it aside to cool . If you want can peel skin .
- In a container , take tamarind pulp and slit green chilli . Keep it for boil . Let the flame be medium .
- Meanwhile,add a tsp of oil to a small kadai and add all the ingredients mentioned under to roast and grind . Fry till dal gets golden brown and chillies are crisp . Once they are roasted , add chopped leaves and saute for 2-3 mins till the leaves wilt a bit .
- Grind together , blanched tomatoes , turmeric and sauted spices . Grind smooth
- Add ground masala to the tamarind water . Add salt , jaggery and water as required and mix. Allow to boil on medium flame . Add few curry leaves and chopped coriander leaves . Once the rasam gets boiled nicely , switch off .
- Finally prepare a tempering . Heat a tsp of ghee, add mustard seeds and hing .When mustard splutters .. switch off. Pour it over the rasam.
- Serve piping hot Ajwain leaf Rasam with hot steaming rice or sip it as a soup or as a yummy tonic for your indigestion / cold & cough.