Doddapatre soppina chitranna recipe with step by step photos | How to do Doddapatre anna | Sambarballi soppina chitranna | Ajwain leaf rice
Doddapatre soppina Chitranna / Ajwain leaf Rice is a quick , easy and tasty variety rice made with healthy and flavorful ajwain leaves and other spices. It is perfect for a simple lunch or even for lunch boxes. So for those busy weekday mornings, this recipe works great . And also since it’s a no onion garlic recipe , one can make it on festivals too.
What is Ajwain Leaf / Doddapatre?
Ajwain leaf / Doddapatre / sambarballi soppu is a plant with many medicinal properties. Its known as Ajwain (Hindi),Ova (Marathi), Panikoorka (Malayalam), Karpuravalli (Tamil) ,Vamu aaku ( telugu ) in various languages . This small herb is used as home remedy for cold and cough, asthma , for indigestion ,acidity etc . The leaves are soft, thick, has a strong pungent flavor. I have a pot full of this plant in my balcony as growing them is very easy . Other than using these leaves for medicinal benefits , i also use them to make tea, rasam , chutney , bajji and this thambli .
How to do Doddapatre soppina chitranna with step by step photos :
Wash rice and cook it in the proportion 1: 2.5/3 ie 2 cup Rice, 5-6 cup water. The cooked rice grains should be separate,not mushy. Once cooked, spread the cooked rice on a wide plate. This will make the grains separate further & also helps to cool quickly. It has to be cooled properly before using.
Pick , wash and clean around 10-15 Ajwain leaves .
Roughly chop the ajwain leaves. Keep aside.
To a small kadai , add a tsp oil. Add all the masala ingredients listed i.e 1.5 tsp Urad dal , 1 tsp Channa dal , 1/2 tsp Pepper and 3-5 nos Red Chilli .
Let the masalas get nicely tossed and turn golden.
Add roughly chopped Ajwain leaf. Saute till leaf wilts.
Once the leaf has wilted , allow to cool.
Add little water and grind to a chutney consistency.Keep aside .
Take a pan / kadai . Prepare a tempering . Heat 2-3 Oil , add 1 tsp Urad dal,1 tsp Channa dal and few Ground Nut. Let they splutter .
Add 1/2 tsp Jeera , 1-2 broken Red chilli and few curry leaves.
Add ground masala to the tempering.
Add haldi and salt to taste. Saute 4-5 mins.
Let the chutney thicken well and get nice gojju like consistency. Switch off.
Add 2-4 tbsp grated kopra and squeeze lime . Kopra and lime is optional , if you want can skip.
Add cooked cooled rice to the masala mix. Mix nicely. Be gentle while mixing.
Allow the rice to sit for some time. Let they absorb the flavors.
That’s it , tasty Ajwain leaf or doddapatre rice is ready to serve.
DODDAPATRE SOPPINA CHITRANNA / AJWAIN LEAF RICE
- 2 cups Cooked rice
- 10-15 nos Ajwain Leaf / Doddapatre
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- 2-4 tbsp Dry Coconut / Kopra, grated ( Optional )
- lemon juice, as required for taste
- Salt to taste
Masala To Roast
- 1-2 tsp Oil
- 1.5 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Channa Dal / Split Bengal Gram
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 3-5 nos Red chilli
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Channa Dal / Split Bengal Gram
- Few Ground Nut
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
- 1 no Red chilli
- Few Curry leaves
- Wash rice and cook it in the proportion 1: 2.5/3 ie 1 glass rice,2.5/3 glass water. The cooked rice grains should be separate,not mushy. Once cooked, spread the cooked rice on a wide plate. This will make the grains separate further & also helps to cool quickly. It has to be cooled properly before using.
- Pick , wash and clean ajwain leaves .
- To a small kadai , add a tsp oil. Add all the masala ingredients listed ie Urad dal , Channa dal , Pepper and Red Chilli . Let they turn golden.
- Add roughly chopped Ajwain leaf. Saute til leaf wilts.
- Let they cool. Add little water and grind to a chutney consistency.Keep aside .
- Take a pan / kadai . Prepare a tempering . Heat Oil , add Urad dal,Channa dal and Ground Nut. Let they splutter . Add jeera , broken red chilli and few curry leaves.
- Add ground masala to the tempering.Add haldi and salt to taste. Saute 4-5 mins. Let the chutney thicken well and get nice gojju like consistency. Switch off.
- Add grated kopra and squeeze lime. Add cooked rice to the masala mix. Mix nicely. Adjust Salt n lime.
- That's it.. Ajwain Rice or Doddapatre Chitranna is ready !! Serve with some papad on sides or any raita .