Today i have for you all simple ,healthy and very nutritious ” Drumstick leaves dal recipe / Moringa leaves dal recipe ” . Drumstick leaves are very healthy as they are rich in iron and calcium. They taste good n smells heavenly too . Enjoy this simple home cooked food, with some steaming hot rice , little ghee and some papad … a comforting meal is ready !!
Drumstick leaves are very very healthy .In kannada its known as nugge soppu . They have many health benefits such as strengthening of bones, boosting immunity,good for lowering blood pressure , good for lactating mothers ,good for diabetic etc . One can include drumstick leaves in stir fry , dal , roti , adai , etc . But the major headache of these tiny leaves is separating them from the stalk . As a result many people avoid buying it thinking of the work involved in cleaning it . Once that is done , including it in our diet is not a problem at all .True , cleaning process is a bit messy and time consuming but then end result and the health quotient deserves it. Actually there is an easy method to remove the leaves . Roll the drumstick leaves in a paper and leave it in the fridge overnight/ few hours. Later you will find that most of the leaves have shed by themselves and beyond that it is easy to clean.
So are you ready to make a note of drumstick leaves dal recipe with step by step photos .. here you go ..
Check Out the Video recipe here :
DRUMSTICK LEAVES (MORINGA LEAVES) DAL RECIPE / NUGGE SOPPINA DAL
- 2 Cups Drumstick leaves / nugge soppu
- 3/4 Cup Toor Dal / split pigeon pea
- 2-3 tsp Oil / Ghee / oil + Ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Jeera Seeds
- 1-2 broken Red Chilli
- Few Curry Leaves
- pinch Hing /Asafetida
- 3-4 flakes Garlic, Minced
- small piece Ginger, Crushed
- 1-2 Nos Green Chillies, split
- 1 Big onion, Chopped
- 1 Big tomato, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder /Haldi
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder, as per taste
- small amla size Tamarind, soaked in water
- Salt to taste
- Separate the leaves from the stalk and wash it thoroughly . Roughly chop them ( optional )
- Roughly chop drumstick leaves .
- Pressure cook toor dal for 3-4 whistles with turmeric . Mash and keep aside .
- Mean while heat oil / ghee in a pan . Temper it with mustard and cumin seeds . Once they splutter add curry leaves , broken red chillies and hing.
- Add chopped onion , green chilli , ginger and garlic and saute till raw smell goes .
- Then add tomatoes , chopped drumstick leaves and salt . Saute for 2-3 mins
- Add chilli powder and haldi . Fry for 1-2 mins
- Squeese out tamarind and add tamarind juice to the drumstick leaves mix . Add some more water and close a lid and cook the leaves for 5-6 mins .
- Once the leaves are cooked 75 % , add cooked mashed dal . Mix it nicely and bring to boil . Taste test . If anything required add .
- Serve hot drumstick leaves dal with steamed rice , ghee and some papad . Enjoy a healthy meal .
- Easy method to separate leaves from stalk is wrap drumstick leaves in a paper and keep it aside for few hours / overnight . Upon opening .. you will see that most of the leaves have already separated from the stalk !!
- If your dal gets thin and you don't have cooked tuvar dal left out , you can add 1-2 tbsp diluted besan ( gram flour ) to thicken it . Boil well .